Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thioacetic acid / thioacetates source
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2019 at 01:18
Thioacetic acid / thioacetates source

I'd like to get some ammonium or metal thioacetate to do some experiments with sulfides (it reacts with many metal salts to give sulfides and doesn't require time consuming setup/cleaning of H2S generator). I didn't find any source for this reagent neither for thioacetic acid. Do you know any?

It seams I can make thioacetic acid by bubbling H2S through acetic anhydride and the later I can make from acetyl chloride which I can get for reasonable price. So, if there is no source I can make it. But I want just to know if there is a more fast way.

[Edited on 24-9-2019 by teodor]
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 03:10

Could you react carbon disulphide with methyl magnesium iodide? This should give the dithioacetic acid C2H4S2 were as the acetic anhydride/H2S reaction would give you the monothio compound.
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 06:15

In the 50-is, or 60-ies thiocatemadie was the "compound of choice" in many analytical laboratories for the preparation of metal sulfides. It is not smelly, not nearly as acutely toxic as H2S gas so it seemed to be the right choice.

Then they discovered its carcinogenic properties and fell out of favor. There's an article about this compound in Chemical Education, I came across it some time ago.

The stable form is the amide, you should search for thioacetamide if you want to have it.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 07:53

@Boffis
Nice idea, thanks. I know almost nothing about the dithioacetic acid, if it is not a kind of warfare agent that is probably an interesting compound to do experiments with it also. The synthetic rote to it is also educative.

@Pumukli
Yes, I found thioacetamide on ebay. The postage from USA is more expensive than the compound itself. I will add it into my "whish list" of course. Also I think the chemistry of thioacetic acids could be more interesting to investigate, not sure why I think so.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 09:06

What about creating a disposable H2S generator, one where maybe some disposable reaction container like a soda bottle is fitted to a pressure equalizing addition funnel? When everything is spent, quench it with a little NaOH solution, cap it, and next time you have a fire, chuck it in to burn everything off. As long as you control the temperature of the plastic with a bowl of water, and ensure gas generation is totally done by the time you cap it, it should be fine. The only cleanup will be rinsing the acid out of the funnel.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
What about creating a disposable H2S generator, one where maybe some disposable reaction container like a soda bottle is fitted to a pressure equalizing addition funnel?

I have some tested H2S setup already and would not go with soda bottle because it will definitely have a leak. And I don't like to use my evacuation plan more often than 1 per month.

I am not trying to replace H2S but just to extend it/compare with other methods for better understanding the chemistry of sulphides and save my time in some cases. But for reference result I still plan to use H2S.

[Edited on 25-9-2019 by teodor]

[Edited on 25-9-2019 by teodor]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 23:13

Interesting compound! I didn't know the group.. Let us know what you find!

Go To Top