Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anhydrous ferric chloride + calcium carbide
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

smile.gif posted on 25-9-2019 at 06:18
Anhydrous ferric chloride + calcium carbide

today i got some Anhydrous ferric chloride.and i thought how it would it react with CaC2 since i got some rotting away anyway.what do you think?
i'm thinking melting FeCl3 and CaC2 in a cup and running away .
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 25-9-2019 at 18:50

Always remember kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down!

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2019 at 06:56

WTF is this doing in Biochemistry? What's the deal with this user? It's always like 160 character posts that do or explain nothing.
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2019 at 07:23

sorry i was making my ideas out there so to get advise before do something stupidly dangerous.
i was very sleepy when i posted the topic.also i'm studying for an exam so don't have much time to do experiments by my self or writing long posts
but what do you think
2FeCl3 +3CaC2 ------> +2Fe +6C
or
2FeCl3 +3CaC2------->3CaCl2 +2Fe3C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cementite
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 26-9-2019 at 09:32

I think you're going to get either a) no reaction in the absence of a solvent, or b) tar-like residue from the oxidation of the acetylide ion, or c) the same kind of detonation that silver acetylide can give.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
zwt2
Harmless

Mood: CHoCoLaTe

[*] posted on 26-9-2019 at 09:42

If you try "melting" FeCl3 in an open container, most of it will just decompose to FeCl2 and chlorine. Ferrous chloride melts at around 700C. For reference, iron or steel will glow bright red at that temperature.
Heating CaC2 in the open to anywhere near its melting point will convert it to calcium cyanamide by reaction with atmospheric nitrogen.
So you're most likely to end up with a mixture of your starting reagents, ferrous chloride, and perhaps a bit of calcium cyanamide, without much reaction between any of the compounds, unless you can keep the ferrous chloride molten at around 700-1000C.

"Since you belong to the small number of wise men... tell me, how do you occupy yourselves?"
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-9-2019 at 10:02

how about mixing table salt first, to make NaFeCl4 which melt around 170C?

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner

Go To Top