Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for nitric acid in canada (refining)
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 08:04
Looking for nitric acid in canada (refining)

Hello I figured I would send a request into the ether with hopes of finding some direction. I am looking to source a couple liters of nitric acid. I am not particular about concentration so long as it is 25+% in which case I would need 4 liters. I have found only one supplier in Ontario who will sell to an individuals but the prices are extremely prohibitive. I am in central Alberta and am looking for another Canadian who could perhaps help me out with what I need or with direction as to where I can source some at a cost that will not destroy my bottom line. I have around a pound of silver inquarted karat gold 5-6kt however I am dreadfully under sourced when it comes to the nitric acid. I am aware that I could make it myself however I am not enthusiastic about distilling 1/2 gallon+ of nitric.
Anybody that can help me with the acid or with direction as to where to source would be very much appreciated. Lastly and most importantly I am looking for someone in Canada, I am not interested attempting to ship across borders and thus dealing with customs. Thanks again, be well.
brain2071
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 11:24

Hello fellow Canadian!

I'm not sure what your price range is, but there is a company out of BC called Westlab that sells concentrated nitric acid at around $100 for 2.5 litres for 500ml for $35 I think. I have ordered nitric acid twice from them and had no issues.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 16:38

falling leaf stump remover is 100% kno3. easier to make at home.

if processing gold you can use non nitric oxidation methods.

[Edited on 3-10-2019 by XeonTheMGPony]
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 18:18

I already tried westlab however I received an odd reception this time and was told that I would need GST number to order. I've never had an issue with them before? Regarding other methods of refining the issue is I already inquarted the gold. When I inquarted I was under the impression that obtaining the additional acid I need wouldn't be so problematic, as I never had trouble in the past. I don't know if the powers that be have increased the pressure regarding this chemical but I would have an easier time buying a gun, figure that one.

I've crapped out with my regular 4 suppliers the one that would deal increased the price to around $250 per 2.5lt. or around $350 for a case of 2.5lt. my issue is that would leave me with a massive surplus of concentrated acid to store which I am not comfortable with. Not to mention buying in that quantity in these times without a business license could raise some eyebrows. Anyway if someone can help it would still be very appreciated.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2019 at 03:45

The word is rushing to full retard nanny state, in North America, rather then deal with the real problem typical incompetent guberment slaps band aids on it.

So sadly it is getting to the point where you have to just make it, I expect to have to make 3 small bench top plants for my main acids sooner rather then later.

rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2019 at 06:16

ask a scrap yard dude.they know how to get hold almost anything.

NOT RELEVANT but i got one FUMING HNO3 for one buck a kilo.(they sell by weight cuz acids are more difficult to measure)
GO BULK OR GO HOME.

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner
Muffin Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-10-2019 at 07:35

Check with hydroponic stores locally.

I know that you can get 50% nitric acid at some places, at least here in Ontario.

[Edited on 3-10-2019 by Muffin Man]
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2019 at 07:58

I tried the hydroponic route but all I could find was 1brand with a 5-15% HN03 content 1lt for around $20. Don't misunderstand me regarding price while it would be great to find concentrated
acid for $10 a liter I am good paying a $100+ 2.5lt so if anyone is willing to sell some even 500mls would help u2u me and we will figure something out. I will try a scrap yard I've dealt with before, thanks for the suggestion.

A quick question regarding refining, if I were to make some HNO3 via H2S04 + H2O + K,Na or NH4NO3 and digest the inquarted gold with the undistilled sulfate ladden solution, how would this affect my separation of the Au & Ag? Obviously I would do a second refining of the Au with pure acid to ensure an acceptable final purity, which requires minimal acid. Has anyone else attempted this route? I would of course run a small scale test before running the entire lot but if I am unable to source some clean acid I will need to consider alternative solutions. Thank you everyone for your help so far, by all means keep em coming.
Cezium
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-10-2019 at 22:42

Silver sulfate will precipitate so no, this is no go.

Ca(NO3)2 will probably work, but its gonna be PITA to filter HNO3 from gypsum and terribly inefficient...

[Edited on 7-10-2019 by Cezium]
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 7-10-2019 at 05:49

PM.

[Edited on 7-10-19 by The_Davster]

Go To Top