Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What temp is considered super heated steam and what materials will withstand these conditions?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 19:48
What temp is considered super heated steam and what materials will withstand these conditions?

I'm trying to figure out is a 10 bar vessel (180C/357F) would be considered super heated steam, and if steam of that temp would rapidly degrade iron/steel. I need to find a material that can handle this temp in both a containment vessel (~1-1.5L) as well as tubing that can carry the steam from the vessel into a turbine system. I'm also looking at something that will allow for the 180C to be further heated as a couple coils (maybe 3-5ft long) are passed through a hot fire (1500-2000F) to further increase the temp after it leaves the vessel. In this case it would most likely be used to pass over hot carbon, not run into a turbine - though I'd like to test that was well and see if there is significant increase in power output.

I'm leaning towards 304/316 SS for the vessel (appropriate thickness) with a blow-off valve (brass OK?), and then the same material for the tubing (probably 3/16" - 3/8" ID) or if possible some thick walled copper if it is strong enough to handle the pressure and IDK if hot steam degrades copper the same as it does iron/steel.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 20:22

I would try to use the same material throughout, no matter what you choose, otherwise galvanic corrosion may be a big problem , unless you select materials carefully.
Espresso machines operate in the vicinity of your stated conditions : https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs/articles/espresso-machi...

SS is probably your best bet, so long as there's no chlorine/choride in the water.

[Edited on 9-10-2019 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 21:45

In the case of steam, superheated means the temperature is greater than the boiling point of water at a given pressure. 180C and 10 atm is close to saturation, so probably not superheated. Also, I don't think e.g. 180C steam at 5 atmospheres would be more corrosive than 300C steam at 90 atm, simply because the former was "superheated" and the latter was not.

I'd say you could use normal carbon/mild steel pipe, or even copper at 180C, (although soldered joints may start having problems at temperature). For the 800C superheater, stainless steel and realize its strength will be a half to a quarter of what it is at room temperature

For either setup, assume there will be a few catastrophic failures, due to engineering flaws temperature/pressure excursions, etc. before you get it running smoothly. Be safe and have fun.

PS why is espresso brewed at high pressure? Is it to enable liquid water at ~200C, or is it just part of forcing the water to flow through the grinds? The espresso websites talk about final (in the cup) temp, pressure while brewing, but not brewing temperature.
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 9-10-2019 at 07:57

I think it's to move the water through the grinds

Good question!

I wonder how pressure cooker coffee would taste, it might be the next best thing!
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 9-10-2019 at 09:00

Quote: Originally posted by Twospoons  
I would try to use the same material throughout, no matter what you choose, otherwise galvanic corrosion may be a big problem , unless you select materials carefully.
Espresso machines operate in the vicinity of your stated conditions : https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs/articles/espresso-machi...

SS is probably your best bet, so long as there's no chlorine/choride in the water.

[Edited on 9-10-2019 by Twospoons]

maybe you misread, espresso machines have never used steam at 180°C.
coffee grounds would char at that temperature.
maybe you read 200° F as 200°C

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 9-10-2019 at 13:02

I was referring to the pressure. Coffee is ideally brewed at 95C. But there are also single tank espresso machines that heat the tank to ~120 to 130C for steaming milk. So not exactly the same conditions, but a similar sort of engineering problem.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2019 at 03:27

aluminium would do fine up to 350 Celsius it can handle the pressure.
do careful research about stainless steel type. this old tony
https://www.youtube.com/user/featony

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 10-10-2019 at 04:03

Quote: Originally posted by rockyit98  
aluminium would do fine up to 350 Celsius it can handle the pressure.

Wouldn't chemical reactivity with 350 °C steam be an issue? I don't think the surface oxide layer would be stable under those conditions.

[Edited on 2019-10-10 by Metacelsus]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
andy1988
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2019 at 10:01

You may enjoy this read on boiler corrosion, and perhaps similar material.

A great discussion here on creating a magnetite layer.

Also a good read on magnetite.

[Edited on 10-10-2019 by andy1988]

Go To Top