Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I quit using cannabis to be a safer chemist.
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: "may we see your papers, please?"

[*] posted on 28-12-2019 at 04:59
Get High!

Arkoma, well said!

You obviously KNOW what works for you.
That's great so go with it.

For myself and for a few others here however,
getting high was not working so well in the long term
for us, so we eventually abandoned it.

Everything in life is a tradeoff of some sort.;)

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

Mood: Feelin groovy

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 05:11

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  

A psychiatrist would disagree with this characterization, but of course they're just in the business of pushing drugs, right? Stimulants help many people lead normal lives.

The straight edge sober living sounds great and so it appeals to religious thought, a higher plane of wisdom; it's a pipe dream nonetheless.

If psychiatrists spent any meaningful amount of time identifying and correcting lifestyle factors before prescribing , I'd have some respect for them. I'm very familiar with the industry and it's dependency on isolating a patient for a very short period of time in a very contrived environment before prescribing drugs. That fits a profit model.

Fit a patient with a body camera for 6 weeks and go through the video then spend 6 months to 2 years or longer identifying unhealthy lifestyle factors and eliminating them and I'll start to think psychiatrists are more than drug dealers with a profit motif. The inconvenient truth of human beings is that they require much more attention. The average psychiatrist spends less time with a patient than a typical auto mechanic does fixing a car.

Many people believe a "normal" life should include no exercise or time outdoors, a complete lack of self interested collaborative activity with family or friends, consumption of food lacking nutrition, hours spent online and very little sleep.
I don't have a clue what a "normal" life is, I don't believe you do either. The truth of "normal" life is thoroughly corrupt by marketing. To think someone in a psychiatrists postion , sitting on her ass all day listening to mentally ill people , is a recipe for understanding normal, is flawed thinking. Trusting their evaluation is foolish.

Stimulants help people meet expectations with little management of the greater constructs of life. Stimulants are good for people who don't/can't see beyond being "tools". (edit: this isn't really fair on my part, the unfortunate situation of most people is they are required to adapt to very unhealthy lifestyles just to survive)

I don't want to present myself as sober, either. I'm not religious or part of a sobriety cult. I don't drink or use cannabis but I got bombed on kava yesterday. I don't expect my brain to be back to normal for a week or more. I just have realized how compromising and undermining my habitual drug use has been. I won't use cannabis again as I feel like it made me mildly psychotic and I am MUCH happier, calm, content and loving without it. I'm also much less frustrated as I study chemistry. I still feel a need to alter my consciousness from time to time, though. I think that is part of a "normal" life. I'm a terrible judge of "normal" though.

I am very sorry, I won't lie, I just don't respect people on psychiatric drugs. I also feel they do damage to the general understanding of normal. The idea that some employees will be judged next to others on amphetamine sickens me.

Also, "sober living a pipe dream", lol:D

[Edited on 10-1-2020 by itsafineday]

[Edited on 10-1-2020 by itsafineday]

I am seeking to level up my Chem skills. Corrections welcome! All mentorship in madness appreciated.
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: "may we see your papers, please?"

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 06:17
quack "Doctors"

My take on it is that for every real doctor out there,
there are at least a dozen or more quacks.

The whole concept of having "psychiatrists" involves
concepts of what is accepted in society as "normal"
behavior, as contrasted with "abnormal" behavior.

These ideas are subjective because one person's
"normal" may not be anywhere even close to that
of some other person.

So, my advise is, go watch an old black and white
Groucho Marx movie where he portrays a doctor.

Or watch some old Three Stooges episodes where
they clown around as doctors.

Some how or other, we have decided for ourselves
that doctors are seen as authority figures.

Aside from setting broken bones or fixing up
severe injuries, most of "modern medicine" to me
is just a greedy bunch of money-grubbers
that have managed to brainwash most of society.

By doing so, they have created a multi-trillion
dollar industry.

This industry is a self-perpetuating one.
The more drugs they hand out, the sicker and the weirder
the patients become.

In other words it all revolves around repeat business.:D

[Edited on 10-1-2020 by sodium_stearate]

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Fine

[*] posted on 14-1-2020 at 13:05

Lately I'm taking a break from cannabis too.

I've been using it regularly during Christmas break to this point, that I became unproductive and even had few days that I remember as from a fog.

There is quite a lot going on in my life soon and I start another chemistry project so I need to be sober and fully mobilized. I keep my fingers crossed for you itsafineday!
karlos┬│
International Hazard

Mood: verr├╝ckt & wissenschaftlich

[*] posted on 14-1-2020 at 14:32

I'm using that stuff only rarely nowadays, growing older did quite a bit for it.
But in no time I turned into a much better chemist, which is of course no coincidence.

Well, I still do the occasional stimulants(which turn me into an even better chemist actually :o).
stoichiometric_steve
International Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 23-1-2020 at 23:52

Quote: Originally posted by itsafineday  

If psychiatrists spent any meaningful amount of time identifying and correcting lifestyle factors before prescribing, I'd have some respect for them.

I'm a health professional and totally agree with what you said.

As per my experience, the "level of competence/willingness to REALLY help" one can expect from a doctor/pharmacist/nurse etc. can be plotted on a Gauss curve.

Very few ones are really bad, by far the most are just "meh" and again very, very few ones are excellent.

Why is that, then?

Probably because identifying root causes to a psychological problem is much more difficult than just applying a temporary fix like writing a prescription, then if those meds didn't help, just write another.

Repeat until you can claim to "have done everything": Voila, made money without doing what you were supposed to do!

You've gamed the system, and that's just what's so deeply rooted inside every human that it defines us as individuals and our society.

We're gaming ourselves into oblivion, as is quite obvious from the current state of the world.

We are fucked.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top