Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calculating Repulsive Force - Magnetics
aliced25
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 2-2-2011 at 16:20
Calculating Repulsive Force - Magnetics

Ok, I'm looking into something right at the moment and there doesn't appear to be all that much information on it.

How do I calculate (and model) repulsive force between magnets?

I'm thinking of a levitating design, that would, if it worked reduce the force of gravity on a load, via offsetting that gravitational pull with magnetic repulsion. Earnshaw's theorem notwithstanding, it has been done, I'm just stuck on how to calculate/model the same.

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 16:59

FEMM 4.0 is your friend here. only 2D though.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 17:36

Yeah, I'm using it, but how to I turn the force-lines into useable data on the repulsive force? I mean, I'm seeing precisely the same flux lines as I'd expect, but trying to determine the relationship between the force bearing down on a magnet (pressing it down toward another) is kind of hard to model. I realise the pull-force and push-force are, all things being the same, equivalent, but how to ascertain the amount of weight that can be held above a magnet via magnetic repulsion?

From a Knight of the Realm: "Animated movies are not just for kids, they're also for adults who do a lot of drugs." Sir Paul McCartney
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 18:09

select the magnet block, choose ' integrate', choose' force by weighted stress tensor'. This should give you the force on the block as x and y components. The manual has more detail. You can get torque in a similar way.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
aliced25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 05:36

Ok, I'll try that - also found how to import the solutions (and materials) into Mathematica. Once I sort that shit out, I can really have some fun.

Any suggestions on the LUA scripting console? I've been struggling to find anything basic enough for me to wrap my head around.

Go To Top