Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: De-protection of N-Benzyl groups
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

Mood: just right

[*] posted on 30-10-2019 at 23:52
De-protection of N-Benzyl groups

So im trying to de-protect a N-Benzyl group using 5% Pd/C and having no luck. Since reading up im seeing that 10% Pd/C is normally used. But then im also seeing that in certain types of compounds even 10% Pd/C is not enough and have seen papers using a combination of 15% Pd/C and 15% Pd(OH)/C to remove the benzyl group. Also as i have like 25g of 5% Pd/C is it possible to use a molar excess of 5% Pd/C to have the same reactivity as what 10% Pd/C has?
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2019 at 18:28

What kind of N-benzyl group? What solvent are you using? What is the hydrogen source (tank or home generated)? What pressure are you using? Stirring or shaking? These are all variables which are needed to know before any useful answer can be offered.

AvB
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-11-2019 at 02:40

Im trying to remove benzyl group attached to a piperidine based compound. I was trying to do a catalytic transfer hydrogenation using ammonium formate. I can make hydrogen via water with electrolysis and do it under pressure of a balloon with stirring. I think i need 10% Pd/C from research ive done. My question is can i double the amount of 5% Pd/C to compensate for 10% Pd/C. Thanks for any help ive not had to ask anything before as i can find everything i need to know for books, papers or on websites such as this one etc.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-11-2019 at 20:55

The information you have provided is still too vague to give a specific answer so I will give you some general information. In order to remove a typical N-benzyl group from an amine you will need to run the reaction in an acidified solution. Typically this is done in ethanol containing at least enough HCl to neutralize the amine. This is done as free amines can act as mild catalyst poisons for Pd-C. Methanol as solvent is generally not recommended as it can catch fire on mixing with the catalyst or when working up the reaction. Perhaps you could retry your ammonium formate reaction in acidified solution. Hydrogenation under balloon pressure should work if you take proper care to run the reaction correctly. The reaction system needs to be evacuated and filled with hydrogen several times before stirring is started. No matter how you run the reaction vigorous or even "violent" mixing is required to maximize catalyst exposure to hydrogen. Typical magnetic stirring only works well for small scale reactions in regular glassware. Using a Morton flask will often give superior results. Your 5%Pd/C should work just fine. If your catalyst is old, it may need to be "pre-reduced" before adding the substrate.

AvB
nleslie321
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-2-2020 at 20:54

I managed to complete the previous experiment. I am now trying a deprotection of a n-benzyl group attached to a piperidine based compound. I now have 10% Pd/C so should i also try this in an acidic environment?

Go To Top