Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Test tube rack
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 08:44
Test tube rack

What's the appropriate size test tube for a 22mm hole? I'm guessing itll fit the 21mm tube, or 20mm tube, not sure which is common, and which length is best. I'm guessing the longer the better, for my experiments LOL -- but then again I'm not sure. Guessing 20x150-200mm would work well

I was thinking of getting this rack, it seems to be the cheapest wooden rack http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV...

Also, I was thinking of possibly making racks with a dremel, but I'm unsure if it'd be worth my time. I'm not sure which bits would be needed, I'm not sure if a flat bottomed hole is better than a curved hole and if it were curved I'm not sure that the bottom would meet the curvature of the test tube.

Suggestions?

What would you say the best sized rack is?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

[Edited on 11/6/2019 by Yttrium2]
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 09:38

"What would you say the best sized rack is?" the size depends on what you need it for, if you need to just compare a few test solution, 5 holes is enough, if you need to collect the eluent fraction from a chromatography column you could need up to 30 or more.

I would just make one if you are buying one made of wood.
A curved blind hole is better, the curvature won't match the test tube of course, but it will keep it centered

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 10:28

I like the design of the one pictured in the link. I'm unsure how to make it with a dremel, but I'm guessing a 22mm bit- not sure what I would need to get uniform depth of the rounded holes for the base

Also I'm not sure how to make that little pilon thingy with the curves, I'm sure I could use just a flat cylindrical piece, maybe I could find something unique there that would suffice? Not sure what

Not sure where to get the peices

I'm wanting to go with 150mm-200mm test tube length, I want one that won't look to small in proportion to the tube length.

I ordered a meter stick in the past so that I could evenly divide up the spacing for the holes, it gets a little confusing to me on how to space the holes with a ruler since everything is going in 16ths of an inch --i ran into some difficulty in the past with it, not sure if I'm articulating it right.

Go To Top