Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Revamping my labspace . Help
vibbzlab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Always curious

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 08:20
Revamping my labspace . Help

I have decided to revamp my lab storage.i have a whole lot of chemicals of all type . Both organic and inorganic chemicals , different types of alcohols and elements too. I really need a classification of chemicals so I can arrange them in my lab. At the moment all the chemicals are stored together in a cabinet. Really need a classified storage.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 10:52

By "classified storage", do you mean storage categories? Like flammables, oxidizers, etc.? Here's a good resource for 9 categories of separation: http://ehs.research.uiowa.edu/chemical-storage-nine-compatib...

I'm not quite a rigorous as that. I separate into 6: General, Flammable, Oxidizer, Acid, Base, and Health Hazard. Flammables and Acids each get their own separate storage locker (the official yellow and blue, respectively, metal cabinets that are rated for those items). The blue Acids cabinet has one of those fridge boxes of baking soda to absorb acid vapors. For the other categories I just have some wire rack shelving. Oxidizers and Bases get their own shelves, and everything is marked with color-coded dots so they are easily identifiable.

Physical separation of hazard classes is crucial. The last thing you want is an oxidizer causing your flammables to be impossible to extinguish while they burn and disperse health hazards into the air.
vibbzlab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Always curious

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 15:52

Yes I was in need for this. Thanks
I just bought some resorcinol and Phthalic acid last day. And there are many other stuff which are rare with me. So I was thinking of classifying.

Go To Top