Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Experience with laboratory suppliers in Brisbane Australia
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 11-11-2019 at 17:55
Experience with laboratory suppliers in Brisbane Australia

Hi guys I am a recent returnee to home chemistry (my kids are now interested) and have been setting up our home hobby lab. I wanted to share with members in Australia my purchasing experience.
There is a supplier in Brisbane called Science Essentials. The manager, Peter Kozionas, is supportive of hobby chemists and I got various chemicals and equipment from them, including some hard to find items. They can be contacted on sales@scienceessentials.com.au or phone (in Australia) of 07 3846 1311. My impression is that if you can convince Peter that you are a genuine home hobby chemist and not sourcing stuff for illegal purposes he would love to help you. He gave me permission to mention his details.
I also got quite a few items from Banksia Scientific in Brisbane. They are on eBay, items are good value, but you will have to discuss combined freight as their individual freight costs are high. Fortunately I was able to collect.
Another good value supplier is Vanbar Imaging in Sydney. https://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/
then select 'chemistry'. If you order one item freight will be expensive, but combined freight for 5 or 6 remains the same as for one. And the items arrived 3 working days later. Note however that they supply all their items in sealed bags, not bottles. They are also on eBay, but they do not list their full range on eBay.
Fellow Aussies, where do you buy your stuff - any place to recommend?
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2019 at 18:30

I have nitric acid, sulphuric acid, toluene,celite,DCM,gaa Available in litres,gallons and twenty litre drums.if u want any let me know.ive talked to Peter a few times seems helpful but is slow to make an order happen.ive talked to banksia or Roche analytical or wherever it was along the river there when I was after lithium hydroxide and they wanted $2000 a kilo.total price gouging.
Lion850
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2019 at 19:04

Hi draculic acid69 good to know you have stuff available hope I can still find you when I next need something :)
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 18:15

Bookmark the page.im always gunna be here on science madness.where are you located exactly? And add gold silver platinum and palladium to the list.very reasonable prices
Lion850
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2019 at 12:27

I’m North of the city.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 13-11-2019 at 14:43

Page bookmarked.

As far as I know, there are now a few of us in SE QLD:
  • draculic acid69
  • Lion850
  • j_sum1
  • aussie chemist
  • neon pulse

It was not long ago that I thought I was on my own. Good to know there are some local suppliers that I was not previously aware of. I might need to check them out.
    If we were to arrange a meet up, I visit Logan regularly, pass by Ipswich and often stay in North Brisbane.
    B(a)P
    International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 13-11-2019 at 15:52

Thanks very much for this! I am in Sydney. I get most of my harder to get chemicals at work. But always good to have more options.
    draculic acid69
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2019 at 19:01

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
    Page bookmarked.

As far as I know, there are now a few of us in SE QLD:
  • draculic acid69
  • Lion850
  • j_sum1
  • aussie chemist
  • neon pulse

It was not long ago that I thought I was on my own. Good to know there are some local suppliers that I was not previously aware of. I might need to check them out.
    If we were to arrange a meet up, I visit Logan regularly, pass by Ipswich and often stay in North Brisbane.

• I'd be interested in that.
    Kobold vor NH4
    Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-11-2019 at 03:00

Im in the gympie region, I was in Brisbane the other week at supernova and I was going to check out science essentials but I only remembered about it on Saturday so they were closed, but is it like a shop that you just walk into and buy things, or is it only online orders? I forgot to check out what the building was like.

I usually make my own chemicals that i can't get in stores.
    I get my glassware from Mad about science, they are aimed at schools so they aren't lab grade, but quite inexpensive, but the only time mine break is from impact with the ground. https://www.madaboutscience.com.au/shop/lab-supplies.html
    They are in Victoria, But they do send elsewhere, they don't really stock ground glass, aside from various pieces, but they stock condensers, although I haven't gotten any yet, they don't mention anything about needing an EUD...
    Another place for glassware is lab direct, they have lab grade stuff but the metalware is quite good.
    I think they are just thermoline's glassware name.
    https://www.labdirect.com.au/
    draculic acid69
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-11-2019 at 03:32

I think they stopped doing walk-in sales about 12 yrs ago.i went in there one day and they said new legislation meant I had to do business with them via email.6mths earlier they were happy to sell me stuff.
    Lion850
    National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-11-2019 at 20:46

Call Peter from Science Essentials, see the number in my original post above, and give him some idea what you want and then arrange a visit. I’ve been dealing with him quite a bit recently and find him very helpful.
    Lion850
    National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2020 at 23:58

Hi Aussie hobby chemists! Peter Kozionas from Science Essentials in Brisbane told me anyone is welcome to check in with him if they want to purchase any chemical and if they have a price from overseas or elsewhere he will see if he can match if he has stock. Mobile 0438 383 180.
    B(a)P
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2022 at 16:32

I didn't think this worthy of its own thread, so thought I would stick it on the end of this given it is somewhat related.
    I have always been envious of the seemingly large market for used laboratory equipment in other parts of the world, particularly the US, that we do not have in Australia. Unfortunately the shipping to Australia is generally cost prohibitive.
    I recently stumbled across Tech Trader (click on the name to see their web site).
    They claim to sell a range of new and used laboratory equipment.
    Has anyone one heard of/purchased from them?
    I have put an enquiry in for a couple of items they have listed (hotplate stirrer and heating mantle). Once I have received a response I will provide an update on how reasonable their pricing is.
    B(a)P
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2022 at 18:39

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
    I didn't think this worthy of its own thread, so thought I would stick it on the end of this given it is somewhat related.
    I have always been envious of the seemingly large market for used laboratory equipment in other parts of the world, particularly the US, that we do not have in Australia. Unfortunately the shipping to Australia is generally cost prohibitive.
    I recently stumbled across Tech Trader (click on the name to see their web site).
    They claim to sell a range of new and used laboratory equipment.
    Has anyone one heard of/purchased from them?
    I have put an enquiry in for a couple of items they have listed (hotplate stirrer and heating mantle). Once I have received a response I will provide an update on how reasonable their pricing is.

Update
    You are not going to find yourself a super bargains with these guys, but they have a huge range of quality new and used laboratory equipment and glassware (I checked out their warehouse). They back both their new and used products, they claim that anything that has issues can be returned to them for replacement or repair. They are a very friendly and knowledgable bunch that work there.
    B(a)P
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2022 at 00:55

Tech trader have a Grays Auction. It finishes tomorrow. Looks like some bargins amongst the various lots.
    Online Auction

Go To Top