Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PFAS uptake by hemp plants
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 22-11-2019 at 03:02
PFAS uptake by hemp plants

https://www.newcastle.edu.au/research-and-innovation/centre/...

This is a very interesting article. It would be great in my opinion to see a biological solution to PFAS contamination. Noted that the plant is only absorbing PFAS not destroying it. Curious what others think?
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-11-2019 at 05:57

It made me think of cattails, wondering if they would work too.
Also this I came across.
https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2019/06/03/fda-food-sam...
Schmiddy
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2019 at 20:58

Very interesting but the hemp could only really pull the contaminant from 1m down as their tap roots and secondaries don't go much farther than that so if the contaminant is deep you would still need earhtmoving equipment and it wouldn't be a hands off approach.

but I would look to Fungi for best results as they have an amazing ability to attack and breajdown serious contaminants in high concentrations.
pleurotus /Oysterspecies are being used for hydrocarbons and I expect
gyromitra would hold promise for this as well. check on Paul Stamets site fungiperfecti.com and I think he has some TED talks as well.

being able to sequester the PFAS from the ground is half the battle so having it in the hemp,which is easy to gorw easily harvestable is an advantage.

Hemp was used around chernobyl for it's sequestering ability and Poplar trees are also another good choice if sequestering is all your after and their roots can go 10X deeper to extract the contaminant than cannabis

andy1988
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-11-2020 at 20:38

A bit related, and really fascinating: Researchers find connection between household chemicals and gut microbiome.

Excerpts:
Quote:
Children with higher levels of PFASs in their blood had a reduction in the amount and diversity of bacteria, while increased levels of phthalates were associated with a reduction in fungi populations.

The researchers also found, surprisingly, that the children who had high levels of chemical compounds in their blood also had in their gut several types of bacteria that have been used to clean up toxic chemicals. Dehalogenating bacteria have been used for bioremediation to degrade persistent halogenated chemicals like dry cleaning solvents from the environment. These bacteria are not typically found in the human gut.

"Finding the increased levels of these type of bacteria in the gut means that, potentially, the gut microbiome is trying to correct itself," Gardner said.

[Edited on 16-11-2020 by andy1988]

Go To Top