Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is it good to hoard chemicals?
fff
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 10:52
Is it good to hoard chemicals?

Given that some chemicals are available here but illegal somewhere, and some vice versa, is it good to hoard these chemicals while still available here?
B(a)P
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 11:20

It depends what they are, many have a limited shelf life so buying them before you need them will be a waste of money if they are too degraded to use by the time you need them.
It also depends on your regulatory environment. Is your government focused on illegal drugs and/or terrorism? If not maybe nothing will change.
Which chemicals are you talking about?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 11:50

Many many chemicals have unlimited shelf life, provided they are stored in perfectly sealed containers. Many chemicals also keep well in less than perfect containers. Many inorganics are stable, but are hygroscopic. Some reducing agents slowly pick up oxygen. Some alkalies tend to pick up CO2, making carbonates in the process. This kind of things can be taken care of by keeping them in glass containers, with metal caps or very thick plastic caps. I store many chemicals in Schott Duran reagent bottles, with GL 32 or GL 45 caps, tightly screwed on the bottle. Perfect for long-term storage.

Some chemicals need to be ampouled in glass, because no other container will keep them contained indefinitely. To mention a few: Br2, PCl3, PCl5, SO2Cl2, SOCl2, PBr3, PBr5, POCl3, NbCl5, SnCl4.

I would not stockpile on specific drugs precursors or forbidden explosives. It is not worth it. Some chemicals are borderline, because they can be used for illegal purposes, but also have many legit uses. Think of acetic anhydride, propionic anhydride, benzaldehyde. I have some of this class of chemicals. They are watched over here, but possession of them is not illegal, and some suppliers even sell them to private persons, albeit that a declaration of use may be asked.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 19:16

As you know, in the UK we have EPP regulations, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/licensing-for-hom...
when the authorities want to ban a chemical or class of chemicals they give a period of warning,
then during a second period it is supposed to be not available for purchase but OK to own or use,
after that you are not allowed to buy, sell, use or posess the restricted item(s) without an EPP license.

So if you hoard chemicals that become restricted you will have to ;

use up all of your stock within the second period
(typically one year, but could be much less depending upon politics)
or
live in fear of a knock on your door
or
hope for the best
or
get an EPP license

Your choice :P

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 20:23

Hoarding is a great idea when the alternative is disposal.
More than half of my chems have been salvaged from situations where they would otherwise have been dumped. (one school. One retiring hobbyist.) I am happy to hoard until I get to use them.
yobbo II
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 11:28

Hoarding and Chemicals should never be used in the same sentence :-|
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 14:25

I hoard chems....... Some of them I keep elsewhere than my house because certain combinations of reagent''s can be misconstrued. I tell my friends that think I have rocks in my head that it ain't no different than a fisherman and their tackle box. Lures are expensive, and it's a hobby thing that ain't about the money. My glass and chems are my equivalent of Rapala Minnows and fancy crank baits :cool:

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 15:09

I do not hoard chemicals but I do have some chemicals which I purchased three decades ago. Hopefully I will get around to using them before I expire.

Go To Top