Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chloroacetic acid via halo form reaction w/ bis(chloromethyl) ketone as starting material?
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 11:09
Chloroacetic acid via halo form reaction w/ bis(chloromethyl) ketone as starting material?

Hello everyone,

The question is in the title, I am curious if the haloform reaction will commence with a monochloro substituted methyl ketone, or 2, for that matter. Theoretically which ever side gets a second chlorine group would then be subject to the 3rd chlorination and then the final step of the haloform reaction creating Chloroform and sodium chloroacetate. Am I right or not?

I’m thinking one could use a hypochlorite instead of chlorine and a base to trim down the process. That would limit the possibilities for side reactions hmmmmmm?

Just curious, let me know whatcha think!
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 12:15

That could work, but I dont know how to make bis chloromethyl ketone. I think an OTC route to chloroacetic acid would be to make 2-chloroethanol from ethylene glycol and anhydrous HCl + ZnCl2, then oxidize with jones reagent to chloroacetic acid
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 15:33

high purity monochloroacetic acid was prepared by hydrolysis of trichlorethylene catalyzed by H2SO4
trichlorethylene was commonly used solvent 20 years ago, but seems to be abandoned now, pitty
https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/sites/default/files/medien/51...
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 22:09

Isn't it made via chlorination of gaa with an i2 catalyst which gives it a pinkish hue?
Read this somewhere I think.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 11:45

The OP could find the routes all of your are suggesting if they wanted to, better stick to the topic at hand.

Go To Top