Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: (success) Preparation of isopropyl salicylate fragrant ester
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 16-12-2019 at 13:11
(success) Preparation of isopropyl salicylate fragrant ester

Reference: doug's lab methyl salicylate video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvrfHS4DRoM

To a round bottom flask in an ice water bath (to prevent dehydration of isopropyl alcohol to propene), I added these 2 chemicals:

* 13.80 grams / 0.1 moles salicylic acid (mole ratio 1)
* 28.40 mL / 0.371 moles isopropyl alcohol (mole ratio 3.7)

Then added 1 mL per minute while stirring:

* 5 mL / 0.0933 moles sulfuric acid (mole ratio 0.933)

I refluxed for 1.5 hours. Only 20 minutes in, I noticed the distinct smell of isopropyl salicylate coming out of the drying tube.

Once the mixture cooled down, a lot of unreacted salicylic acid precipitated out.

I filtered out the unreacted salicylic acid.

after adding an arbitrary amount of saturated sodium bicarbonate solution, I was ecstatic to see an oily layer form on top of the aqueous layer. I collected the top layer, and did one more sodium bicarbonate wash.

I collected the crude isopropyl salicylate in a vial, to add to my collection of fragrant esters.

My current collection of esters (left is methyl salicylate, right is isopropyl salicylate)

Odor
It smells very different from methyl salicylate.
Methyl salicylate odor: sweet, wintergreen, root beer, mint lifesavers, mint mouthwash

isopropyl salicylate is not sweet at all, not as pleasant, but still smells nice. It's vegetal, green, spinach, limey, floral, herbal. Confirms observations at https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=98... I would definitely make a green candle out of this, to give a room a herbal floral vibe.

Since isopropyl alcohol forms an azeotrope with water, if you are doing this on larger scale (e.g. for making candles), you can improve yield with soxhlet extractor and molecular sieves. reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5ds_3s5BI

[Edited on 16-12-2019 by Cou]
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2019 at 14:06

it's cloudy and slightly yellow, but not gonna distill it because it's such a small volume that i risk losing it in my 24/40 distillation apparatus.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2019 at 17:24

It seems that isopropyl alcohol is unusually soluble in isopropyl salicylate, because even with 2 water washings it still smells like rubbing alcohol. I am redoing this, but skipping the water washes and going from 2 bicarb washes to simple distillation.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2019 at 23:52

Is there a reason you don't let the reaction run longer? Or with less salicylic acid, or with more alcohol? Obviously there is too much salicylic acid in you reaction for the conditions you're using now.

I would also skip the water washing, a little bit of bicarb shouldn't matter
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 18-12-2019 at 13:13

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Is there a reason you don't let the reaction run longer? Or with less salicylic acid, or with more alcohol? Obviously there is too much salicylic acid in you reaction for the conditions you're using now.

I would also skip the water washing, a little bit of bicarb shouldn't matter

Yes, I've run most of my successful esterifications for at least 4 hours. Best way to get rid of excess isopropanol is to simply distill it off. Make sure to water wash AFTER the bicarbonate washes until you can't detect high pH or you'll end up destroying the ester on heating.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2019 at 14:30

I successfully purified the ester by simple distillation. It smells green, vegetable-like, herbal

in the doug's lab methyl salicylate video I referenced, and also nile red's methyl salicylate video, they both reflux for only 1.5 hours. Probably why they use such a large amount of sulfuric acid, to speed it up? Anyway I did have success with only 1.5 hours. I distilled over about 10 mL of isopropyl salicylate (following about 10 mL of isopropyl alclhol that distilled over before that), and it no longer smells like alcohol

Isopropyl alcohol seems to be unusually soluble in isopropyl salicylate, even 2 water washes doesn't remove the alcohol smell. About half of the crude ester was isopropyl alcohol by volume, before distillation. Simple distillation is necessary to remove it

[Edited on 18-12-2019 by Cou]
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2019 at 14:42

Congratulations!

Now sneak that isopropyl salicylate into the gym and pour some it on the Jock-strap of somebody you dislike.

No, put it in an ampoule and keep it.

Like the way a new store keeps the first dollar they take in as a memento.

Edit: that should've been the methyl salicylate.
You made that first, right?

[Edited on 18-12-2019 by SWIM]

Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2019 at 14:49

I already keep a collection of fragrant compounds, and this is my 3rd one

I have:

Methyl salicylate (root beer, sweet, mint lifesavers, mint mouthwash)

Isopropyl salicylate (vegetables limey herbal)

1-pentanol (sweet bready yeasty fusel)

RedDwarf
Hazard to Others

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 18-12-2019 at 17:21

What do you use to print/prepare your labels Cou? I like the structural formulae.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2019 at 18:07

Quote: Originally posted by RedDwarf  
What do you use to print/prepare your labels Cou? I like the structural formulae.

Chemdraw, then screenshotting the structure, pasting into Microsoft word

[Edited on 19-12-2019 by Cou]
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2019 at 21:56

I let some coworkers smell it, and one of them commented that it smells somewhat like latex in bouncehouses; i agree
Jinc8
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-7-2022 at 04:48

I'm kinda 3 years late, but im suspecting that I accidentally produced some isopropyl salicylate while distilling the isopropanol I used in an aspirin extraction. The liquid that remained in the flask smelled like neither IpOH or acetic acid, I'd also say it smells kinda latex/glue-like.

Anyway I'll definitely try this synthesis in the future, this is the first ester I've made and even though it was a byproduct it was really cool nonetheless.

Go To Top