Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Palladium recovery from 10% palladium on zinc carbonate and other question
finetune
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 18:44
Palladium recovery from 10% palladium on zinc carbonate and other question

A few weeks ago I bought 50g of 10% palladium on zinc carbonate on ebay for about 120eur. If the listing was true, I got 5g of palladium for less than it´s current market value. What a great deal!

As I began to dissolve the the carbonate support with dilute acetic acid (appx 5-10%, p.a. grade GAA diluted without measuring) CO2 evolution was evident. When the gas evoloution stopped, the residual foam was broken down with dH2O using a squirt bottle.

I wanted to wait for the Pd particles to settle but the particles seem to be so fine, even after two days+ it was impossible to shine trough using a flashlight. My little black hole in a beaker. A solid layer on the bottom is evident though.
Filtering this suspension is impossible using normal filterpaper, I don´t even have to try. I have a Por4 fritted filter, maybe this one will do it, but it is dirty as fuck, piranha didn´t eat the dirt and I am low on nitric atm.

Do you may have any good ideas?
And what was the catalyst used for? I never heard of zinc carbonate as support.

Finetune
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 19:49

Don't use a frit, you will never get it all out...
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 21:52

Filter it through a celite pad, wash with acid to remove zinc. Heat celite/Pd in aqua regia. Filter to collect PdCl4 solution. Boil down or precipitate with ammonium chloride.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 22:32

Quote: Originally posted by finetune  
A few weeks ago I bought 50g of 10% palladium on zinc carbonate on ebay for about 120eur. If the listing was true, I got 5g of palladium for less than it´s current market value. What a great deal!
Mind if you post the link?

finetune
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 22:27

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
Don't use a frit, you will never get it all out...

Using a frit will not be that much of a problem as I intend to work with aqua regia in the next step anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  
Filter it through a celite pad, wash with acid to remove zinc. Heat celite/Pd in aqua regia. Filter to collect PdCl4 solution. Boil down or precipitate with ammonium chloride.

Great! Thanks! I dont have any celite atm, but it is on my list anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Quote: Originally posted by finetune  
Mind if you post the link?

The link is not of any use anymore as I bought everything left. If you are interested I can sell you 5g in the original container for the price I got it.

DSC08215 (2).JPG - 1MB

Go To Top