Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potasium silicate suported Vanadium pentoxide catylest
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 06:37
Potasium silicate suported Vanadium pentoxide catylest

I am starting to make my SO3 reactor, I been hung up on the best catylest geometry.

I finally decided to use a coiled wire system with interlacing of the coils

My next question is should I use a NiChrom or stainless steel support?

Proposed fixing is dip the assembly in potassium silicate then dust with the Vanadium PentOxide then fire

Opt 2 is mix aqueous solution of Potassium Silicate with the Vanadium PentOxide then dope the support matrix.

I know once going the reaction will generate its own heat, but should I use a NiChrome support matrix to use electrical heat then just use the generated heat to keep it going, or stick with external heat. Not sure which is the most practical.

This is basically going to be a bench top chemical plant so I want to optimize the reactor the best practical way, I am thinking due to the low volume flow the NiChrome support may be the way to go

What is every ones thoughts?

Sulfur combustion stage:

Closed metal vessel with a multi wick Sulfur candle and a forced dry air supply.

Outlet is supplied to the base of reactor, fresh dry air supply is intermixed with the SO2 gas on rout to catalyst matrix.

Reactor discharge: Gasses cooled to 20c stage one, stage 2 -15c cold trap to recover any un reacted SO2 this is then pumped back to the reactor base inlet.

O2 inlet option, if too much underacted SO2 is captured add supplemental pure O2/ dry air.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 07:25

if you mix a sodium silicate solution with vanadium pentoxide powder, and then apply this mixture to the wire, you don't get much surface area, if not any at all. the catalyst must be in contact with the reactants, if it is covered in silicate, it can't catalyze the reaction.

given your options it would be better the "dusting" technique.

the idea of using a heating element covered in catalyst is very interesting, what i'm worried about is the surface area, how much is enough for this scale? you may nees many meters of wire to achieve the right surface area, but you might need way less wire for heating.

experimenting would give the best answer

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 07:35

I was thinking the same. Volumetric flow and surface area will be sufficient, will give a lot of surface area, as the surface of the doped wire will not be smooth.

I was thinking of doing most of the support matrix being stainless then do an interlaced heating wire.

Too many options that sound good, but I know a few here have all ready made some basic forms of them.

plan to do some basic tests when I make the potassium silicate "glue"

Go To Top