Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: methylamine via direct amination of methyl bromide
chemist1243
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 06:20

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
The last thing needed here is a recipe for how to use the available chemicals to make "a very toxic fumigant gas with poor olfactory warning properties". The chem set I got as a kid didn't include KCN, can't imagine why.

Quote: Originally posted by chemist1243  
IMO is ts pretty fun just making chemicals via obscure and unheard of methods.

Randomly tossing about chemicals will result in nothing but waste and unforseen problems. Research requires something resembling knowledge. There is a reason why the methods are unheard of.

its an experiment. that's the point. i had a theory, based off evidence i believed to be correct, so i had set up the conditions and precautions in order to carry it out in a safe, controlled manner. im going to try again based on what little ive learned in this fourm to try to get better result. the experiment failed, my hypothesis was wrong, and now i can chose to either abandon it and learn Nothing, or try again with a different perspective a wait for results, compare them with the original plan, and repeat until i get it right. no need to harm myself or others. i have more than enough equipment to do this experiment safely. ill report back on this once ive managed to get a different result, one indicative of some kind of alkylamine, be it methylamine or not.

i may even ditch the MeBr plan and try some other methods. however, regarless of what i choose, im pretty determined at this point to get a sample of methylamine. just for fun.
chemist1243
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 06:41

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Quote:
If it was so easy I doubt organic chemistry would be waiting around 150 years for y'all to figger it out. If the combination was so easy wouldn't further combination be just as easy?

Oh, I strongly doubt you'd get a useful yield. It's a gas-phase reaction and strongly exothermic if it proceeds. It would not be a practical way of producing methylammonium bromide any more than the NH3+HCl gas reaction is a good way to make ammonium chloride.

The thought was that kinetically the gases react with each other faster than the solid crystals react with the ammonia. Since a proton transfer from methylammonium to ammonia is necessary for double alkylation, this might suppress that pathway.

(Besides, everyone knows that the hexamine method is the real way to make methylamine!)

[Edited on 13-1-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

yeah. after a deeper look and alot of pointless bickering with other fourm members ive decided to abandoned the MeBr method and maybe look into some other possible ways. remember that i dont want a huge ammount. just enough to verify that ive managed to create methylamine.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: verrückt & wissenschaftlich

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 07:47

Just react the MeBr with sodium diformylamide in acetonitrile, then precipitate the diformylimide with water and extract, and cleave to the amine HCl salt with HCl in ethanol.
chemist1243
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 11:43

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Just react the MeBr with sodium diformylamide in acetonitrile, then precipitate the diformylimide with water and extract, and cleave to the amine HCl salt with HCl in ethanol.

ill look into that. do you think DFM and AcoNC would be hard to find? i know you can buy DCM but ive never heard of AcoNC and DFM being an online thing. perhaps im uninformed.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: verrückt & wissenschaftlich

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 12:14

MeCN is bought(can be substituted with DMF though), and sodium diformylamide is made yourself from sodium(or lithium) methoxide and formamide, the yields are quantitative.
stoichiometric_steve
International Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 23-1-2020 at 23:27

ive found a few explanations to support your theory that it wont work.

It's not a theory, it's cold, hard fact, that you simply choose to ignore and waste your time researching "angles" that others have already exhausted a long time ago.

What can i say, ignorance will never go extinct.
stoichiometric_steve
International Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 26-1-2020 at 04:46

Also,

im going to try again based on what little ive learned in this fourm

if you've learnt little on this forum, that's on you. You could have learnt a LOT, but you're ignorant. You'll get nowhere with this attitude.
chemist1243
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-1-2020 at 09:03

Quote: Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve  
ive found a few explanations to support your theory that it wont work.

It's not a theory, it's cold, hard fact, that you simply choose to ignore and waste your time researching "angles" that others have already exhausted a long time ago.

What can i say, ignorance will never go extinct.

id much rather know the mechanism and process behind whats happening then just seeing a fact and going "oh well, the more you know". if something isnt going to work i want to know EXACTLY why. i dont care if trying it wont work, i want to atleast know why it wont.

you dont seem to like mad science very much, do you?
chemist1243
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-1-2020 at 09:06

Also,

if you've learnt little on this forum, that's on you. You could have learnt a LOT, but you're ignorant. You'll get nowhere with this attitude.

thats okay. ignorance is simply lack of education, not a sign of incapibility. i can always improve my skills.
Texium (zts16)
Administrator

Mood: Graduated

[*] posted on 29-1-2020 at 10:45

Also,

thats okay. ignorance is simply lack of education, not a sign of incapibility. i can always improve my skills.
No, it's not. That's literally an ignorant person's definition of ignorance. Ignorance is not "simply" a lack of education. It's a lack of education coupled with a failure to actively change that situation. We can teach you things, but that won't make you any less ignorant. You have to change your attitude.

Now I think it's about time to close this turd-pile of a thread.

Texium (zts16)
Administrator
Thread Moved
29-1-2020 at 10:45
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top