Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Legality of Solid Fuels
lordcookies24
Hazard to Self

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 30-12-2019 at 09:40
Legality of Solid Fuels

I recently developed a interest for amateur rocketry, though I have not acted on it yet I spent a very long time researching the preparation of chlorate and perchlorate salts, it just came to me that those chemicals used in explosives and pyrotechnics might not be perfectly legal. After searching for a while I only saw a bunch of EPA articles about chemicals in your drinking water. After seeing no articles that relate to the regulations of chlorate and perchlorate salts im guessing it's legal to make and use them. Right? I am only asking this because I don't want to commit anything illegal without knowing.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 30-12-2019 at 16:27

Legality depends on where you live. In the USA it's fine to make them as long as they're properly stored, and you don't improperly dispose of them. The legality of using them will depend on what you do with them. Some uses may require a permit.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2019 at 17:34

Try to locate an amateur rocketry club in your area. I'm sure someone from the club could be of assistance. Also, I recently (last year or so?) googled amateur rocketry, etc., and found a lot on information was available online.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-2-2020 at 11:24

In the US you are limited to buying only 1 pound per year of chlorates and perchlorates for personal use, unless you have an ATF explosives license. I don't see any issues with making your own, but you should be careful about storing any mixture of it with a fuel, as that would also require an ATF license to store explosives. Since these oxidizers are used for making illegal fireworks (M80s, Cherry bombs, etc), they are watched a lot, and storing any amount of these mixed with fuels is illegal without a lot of paperwork and regulations. There are some exceptions for rocket clubs, but most have gotten "club" licenses to allow them to function well. That way the ATF know what they are buying, using, and storing, which makes it more legitamate in the ATF's eyes. The clubs are great, I had a friend in one for a while, and they did fun things. Just don't try to ride your home made rocket into space...
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2020 at 04:06

You could also look into hybrid rockets: N2O from whipped cream cartridges and paraffin, rubber etc.
They are not easier to build and you'll still have to work on the exhaust quite a bit.

An uncle of mine suffered a few CATO. One sent him to the hospital. I owe him a great deal of Madness :)

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen

Go To Top