Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Emulsions from MgSO4?
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 14:30
Emulsions from MgSO4?

I get a persistent white emulsion every time I dry a compound with a particular brand of MgSO4. The bulk of the drying agent falls to the bottom or swirls around like a snow globe, like it should, but some of it remains as a very fine, free flowing emulsion that takes forever to settle and requires filtration through cotton to separate from the product. It's very annoying and I don't ever remember having this issue with proper lab grade MgSO4 a decade ago in college? Is this normal?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 14:38

It may just have fines in the mix, MgSO4 is the fluffiest drying agent, so it could do that. If you get a granular form that has been sieved, it won't contain them, but cheaper grades are a mix of particle sizes. Sodium sulfate is usually more crystalline, but it does not dry as well as MgSO4. Mg can also chelate some functional groups, so that can also be a challenge, it binds well to some acids, alcohols, and other polar groups. If you see the same emulsion in pure solvent, it is fines, if only with certain compounds, it might be some binding to the material in solution.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 14:54

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
It may just have fines in the mix, MgSO4 is the fluffiest drying agent, so it could do that. If you get a granular form that has been sieved, it won't contain them, but cheaper grades are a mix of particle sizes. Sodium sulfate is usually more crystalline, but it does not dry as well as MgSO4. Mg can also chelate some functional groups, so that can also be a challenge, it binds well to some acids, alcohols, and other polar groups. If you see the same emulsion in pure solvent, it is fines, if only with certain compounds, it might be some binding to the material in solution.

Makes sense. I'm trying to use it on alkenes and amines, which I believe should be compatible with MgSO4. I'll try to find some fine sieves and remove the fines. :)
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 20:04

Just take some and mix with a simple solvent like hexane, stir, decant the emulsion off, then dry the rest to use for real work. Or just filter things after drying, I do that most of the time anyway if in doubt.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 20:40

At the risk of being reprimanded I will ask: You are using anhydrous MgSO4 and not epsom salts? If anhydrous MgSO4, what supplier?

Also, MgSO4 is not really compatible for drying amines. Sodium or potassium hydroxides are the usual agents. You can find drying agent compatibility and efficiency charts with a Google search.

AvB
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-1-2020 at 04:14

Quote: Originally posted by AvBaeyer  
At the risk of being reprimanded I will ask: You are using anhydrous MgSO4 and not epsom salts? If anhydrous MgSO4, what supplier?

Also, MgSO4 is not really compatible for drying amines. Sodium or potassium hydroxides are the usual agents. You can find drying agent compatibility and efficiency charts with a Google search.

AvB

Yes, it's anhydrous. Alpha Chemicals is the manufacturer.

Go To Top