Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guanidine Nitrate BS?
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2020 at 14:02
Guanidine Nitrate BS?

So I've had this guanidine nitrate in my inventory for a few years and I can't remember what the hell I ordered it for. But everywhere I look I see "Guanidine nitrate has been used as a monopropellant" or "Guanidine Nitrate is an explosive substance". I mean, the bottle it was shipped in has an oxidizer warning sticker on it from Sigma when GN is a net fuel. So after not getting the old stuff to work with anything, I ordered in some brand new material in small quantity and it still doesn't really function like some people are reporting in academia.

I guess I'm generally confused about the uses of guanidine nitrate and curious if anyone has been able to do anything useful with it. There are some pyrotechnic formulations coming out in the past decade about using it as a fuel in low smoke compositions or in strobes, but I can't even get the shit to burn, and when used in other compositions it slows the burn rates down to much as to make it seemingly useless for most applications. The idea of it ever being a monopropellant in Jetex fuels seems preposterous to me.

The stuff I have is 98% pure and just by glancing the particle size seems to be in the sub 400 micron range.

Just curious what your guys' take is on this stuff
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 02:29

Try to initiate it as it is. Or make nitroguanidine.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 05:21

ya I never head Guanidine Nitrate used, only ever Nitro Guanidine.

Sure you read the sources correctly?
Alkoholvergiftung
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 06:29

You can detonate Guanidinnitrate with 1g extra fine Blackpowder and it has at the desteny of 0,35 the highest detonation pressure. Unconfirmed you net 1.5g Mercury fulminate to detonate.
As an gunpowder i only know an blackpowder substetute of
40-60 parts KNO3 , 48-24 Guanidinnitrate ,12-16 characol.
In ww1 they filled small artillery Shells with 90% NH4NO3 and 10% GN. because it lowers the melting Point of organic Nitrates.
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 07:05

@XeonTheMGPony Yeah so there is a few compositions I'm familiar with that are using GN nowadays. One of them is a Russian Blue Strobe Star formula of the following makeup (unnormalized):

Ammonium Perchlorate: 25%
Guanidine Nitrate: 55%
Cupric Carbonate: 20%
Magnalium, -200 mesh: 5-10% (More MgAl = faster frequency)

One of the older Jennings-White formulas uses it for a blue strobe as well and is very similar to the previous formula.

The ScienceMadness wiki lists Guanidine Nitrate as an explosive compound ScienceMadness Wiki and a quick google search of jetex fuel will show that GN was used as a monopropellant.

In the 2019 International Pyrotechnics Society (can't attach the whole thing since the file is massive) by Yokohama National University mentioned airbag industries looking at use of GN in the following formula:

9 parts GN
4 parts Basic Cupric Nitrate
+10% Cupric Oxide Burn Rate Modifier

I haven't tested this formula yet, but it seems equally absurd based on my experience with GN so far. There are a few other papers I haven't found yet about the use of GN with magnesium and colorant nitrate salts (barium, strontium, etc) as potential replacements for military signal flares. I understand that a lot of the time research is fluffed for for funding purposes. But no published academic formulas using GN have EVER worked for me so I'm just curious.

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2020 at 12:24

Tidbit

How load a Jetex 50
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3CQ5XCVcMrA

Go To Top