Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Strontium nitrate from strontium carbonate
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 02:40

You should be a little more precise in your usage of chemical symbols and formulae. That makes your posts look much better.

NaOH and CaCl2 may react to form solid Ca(OH)2. Solid Ca(OH)2 is fairly soluble in water, but less so than NaOH and CaCl2. Getting the pure chemical, free from chloride will not be really easy, but indeed, it may be a nice pathway to what you want. You do not have to isolate and dry the Ca(OH)2, just having a slurry in water is OK. If you precipitate this compound, then briefly rinse it with water, otherwise you may lose too much, because it is somewhat soluble in water.

There is one difficulty, and that is finding the right amount of H2SO4 to be added to your Ca-nitrate. The best thing most likely is mixing small amounts of acid in multiple steps with the resulting slurry of CaSO4 and stirring and taking a drop of the clear liquid, which you put in a solution of CaCl2 for testing on sulfate ion. I would try to avoid excess of H2SO4, so as soon as the test for sulfate is positive, you add a little of your Ca-nitrate solution again (so, you must keep a small amount of that aside for the final correction). If your HNO3 contains excess H2SO4, then it may severely impede the reaction of the SrCO3, due to formation of an insoluble coating of SrSO4 around the SrCO3 particles. Having a slight amount of calcium in your final product is not a problem, because Ca-ions also give a reddish color (and this color will be completely washed out by the brighter red of the Sr-ions).

If your supposed to be ammonium nitrate material does not react with Ca(OH)2, then it is not ammonium nitrate.

[Edited on 14-2-20 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 04:09

Thanks for your input woelen

BTW, i got 30% H2SO4, is this going to work or i have to use concentrated?

[Edited on 14-2-2020 by underground]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 05:08

30% is more than sufficient. You could use the 30% for the first 75% of the acid to add, but I would dilute it to let's say 10% for the titration described by Woelen, otherwise you will easily overshoot.
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 07:12

Ok i understant the concept thanks a lot
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top