Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware acquisition
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 13-2-2020 at 12:47
Glassware acquisition

I can't promise anything, but I have a nice "glassware acquisition" trip planned.

The guy I met, which I can't call by name, has a lot of glassware he wants to get rid of. I'm going there anyway as I combined it with a relaxing weekend with my girlfriend.

I have no idea of the prices he will be asking, but what I understood; he wants to get rid of the glass. I do know that whatever he sold me in the past was of good quality. German and English borosilicate stuff. He sold me my first round bottom, a 1000 ml UK made. over 15 years ago, it is the first piece I still have that didn't brake.

I also understood he has a ton, literately a metric ton of it.

What I want to suggest to you: If you have something you really want and can't find somewhere else: Give me the specifics and the maximum price you want to pay for it. I will get it for you, only if I can get it for that price. I promise I will get the stuff for the minimum price, or I won't buy.
If you afterwards don't come up with the money I will blame and shame you here.

Sounds fair right? I charge 20%.

Of course costs of sending are excluded. The cost of the mandatory 21% tax is included, as I will take that in mind during negotiations.

The deadline is the 26th of February 23:59. If I don't trust you, you're out.

So, If you have something you can't find anywhere else, send through the details.

I really don't care whether I can find your stuff or not, but I would like to contribute to the community. When you make my life hard, you are out.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 00:41

There are a few items that I'd like
(e.g. vacuum insulated silvered Hempel column, variable takeoff head, Perkin triangle, bottles ..)
I'm concerned about the postage cost,
approximately how much would say 2kg glass with 0.5kg packaging cost to ship to UK with insurance ?

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 11:15

Me too, I'd love to be able to be in on this - it sounds fantastic.
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 15:54

I am sure you mind has been all over this already. If you have the room take your one ton plus of glassware one piece at a time and identify what it is and place it into a spreadsheet.

The pile which might be left post pictures here and possibly elsewhere for help to identify.

Discussion of price cannot be made without proper identification.
You must determine what you have, then present it to the community, else muddy waters.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 16:17

@Sulaiman: I will try to get that for you! The more I buy, the cheaper it gets. Netherlands - - > UK should be around ten euro below two kilo's. Mayby 13 euro.

@morgbw. OK, you're out. It's not mine in the first place.

[Edited on 15-2-2020 by Tsjerk]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-2-2020 at 05:13

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
There are a few items that I'd like
(e.g. vacuum insulated silvered Hempel column, variable takeoff head, Perkin triangle, bottles ..)
I'm concerned about the postage cost,
approximately how much would say 2kg glass with 0.5kg packaging cost to ship to UK with insurance ?

Are you still in? I will be there tomorrow afternoon.

If this guy has a vacuum silvered Hempel I will take it anyway if it is not too expensive. I was thinking about getting a variable takeoff head myself as well.

The Perkin I didn't even know existed, but I can ask.

The most important question I think is what size you want the items? I'm going to get a ton of adapters anyway, as I found them to be cheap and most helpful! But I don't like buying glass in any other size than 14/23, 24/29 or 29/32. Then at least if I can't sell the piece I can use it myself. Of course a condenser for a Soxhlet with some big mount would be no problem.

If I find something nice I could probably ask the guy to send the glass for us, I received a couple of parcels from him and they were perfectly packaged.

I can ask him to hold on to the item and send it when we agree on a price.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2020 at 02:58

I have quite a lot of ST NS10 jointed glassware (10/14)
but I found it to be too small for me,
so I have moved to NS24 (mostly 24/29 but some 24/40)
I have some NS14 glassware and I quite like this scale,
so primarily I'd like NS24,
ideally I'd like NS24 or larger for the silvered vacuum-jacketed column - if available,
and NS24 or smaller for other stuff.

So, in order of desire;

>=NS24
. Silvered vacuum-jacketed Hempel column

<=NS24
. Perkin triangle
. Variable takeoff head
. Double-surface condenser
. Dewar type condenser / cold-trap
. Sep. funnel, preferably jointed at top and bottom
. Pressure equalising funnel with TWO stopcocks (I already have with one stopcock)
. Vacuum dessicator
. maybe more depending on cost

IF there is a choice of brand then I'd go;
Duran, Quickfit, Simax, Bomex, other.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2020 at 08:43

I'm sorry, I read your post too late, but now I have an idea of what is available, so things could be worked out via email . I know he has a NS24 perkin! I toke the NS19. The only variable takeoff heads he had have a reversed joint... He also didn't know why that was.

The Hempel could be a problem, but I can ask, I saw something silvered but it looked a bit more complicated then just a condenser. I will ask for a picture.

I saw a dewar! Is that good enough?

Sep funnels enough, but I don't know if they have a joint at the bottom.

What do you mean with a equilizing funnel with two cocks?

Vacuum dessicator is now problem, if he has a second, ;) I forgot to buy myself one..

The price won't be a problem, I can promise you that! It is so cheap I don't even dare to make a profit out of it. This guy has been hording glass for four decades and has to clean out his storage before the summer. He is long retired and likes amateur chemistry! Really friendly guy.

Everything comes from universities, so all brands are respectable.

See next post!

Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2020 at 08:48
Photos

The heated stirrer was 110 euro, the rest I got for 40...the cuvets in the black box are quartz! I need those for some UVC illumination.

The stuff in the container is vacuum grease.

The thermometers with joints go from 100 - 200 (NS14) and from minus 10 - 250 (NS19)!

DSC_0000_BURST20200228170046239.JPG - 3.4MB DSC_0000_BURST20200228170031840.JPG - 3.6MB

[Edited on 28-2-2020 by Tsjerk]

[Edited on 28-2-2020 by Tsjerk]

Go To Top