Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Waiting for acceptance...
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

Mood: Feelin groovy

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 12:20
Waiting for acceptance...

I just wanted to toot my own horn and declare I'm waiting for acceptance into the local University Chem/Biochem program. At 49 I figure it was time to quit procrastinating. I'll take all the luck you folks can wish my way.

[Edited on 14-2-2020 by itsafineday]

I am seeking to level up my Chem skills. Corrections welcome! All mentorship in madness appreciated.
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 18:31

Well, good for you! I wish you all the best luck in the world. If I weren't (almost) 80, I might even try to finish my PhD...but I doubt it. Keep us posted on your progress. Charlie
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2020 at 19:46

I certainly wish you good luck :cool:

but I doubt that you will be relying on luck.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-2-2020 at 08:53

Thanks Guys! I am very interested in the topics and really looking forward to having access to real chemistry labs . I'm also excited about meeting knowledgeable chemists in person for a change. I'm not so excited about brick and mortar classroom lectures, though.

I am seeking to level up my Chem skills. Corrections welcome! All mentorship in madness appreciated.
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2020 at 12:27

Quote: Originally posted by itsafineday  
I'm also excited about meeting knowledgeable chemists in person for a change.

Good luck and please report back about this part.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 19-2-2020 at 19:41

I think you'll have some fun with it. Most of the students there will be young enough to be your own kids. I found that it wasn't practical to expect too much from them during group projects. Most of them do the bare minimum to get by, at least until the upper class levels. There were, however, always a few students in each class that seemed to have their stuff together, and they could be counted upon to carry their own weight.

You can take certain liberties because of your age. I walked into a math class on the first day and made sure that there were a few empty desks. Then the next day I showed up early, put my stuff on a second row desk, and then turned the desk in front of me around, so I had two desks. Several kids looked at me wide-eyed, like "Wow. Can he do that?!?" I got along pretty well with that professor. He was from India and a bit hard to understand at times, but he was intelligent and his mind was very sharp. We would talk for an hour after each class not about homework, but just about math. I enjoyed that class.

I took another math class from a professor that was an older and more timid gentleman. One particular day, the kid behind me was busily chatting up his harem of low-class lady friends that were gathered around him. Some other group of kids was talking excitedly about sports, and some of the kids in front of me were discussing math problems, all while I was vainly trying to hear the professor give a lecture. Finally I had enough, put down my geronymous double-sized tea cup, and yelled "There's too much idle chit-chat going on in here! Everybody shut up!" The room was filled with stunned silence, and then the professor said "Thank you!" and continued lecturing.

I met so many intelligent people, especially in the engineering building. There was one lab that was usually unlocked, and I would slip in there and start cleaning the glassware that was sitting in the sink. The professor walked in and looked at me funny at first, but eventually we began spending long hours talking about electronics, even though I was never one of his students. The guy was your typical mad scientist: wild white hair sticking out in all directions, and piles of equipment and paper clutter randomly stacked everywhere. He was a pretty fun guy.

I wish you the best in your new adventure. Certainly check back in with tales of your exploits and experiences.

itsafineday
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 09:19

WGTR.....Hilarious post! I will most certainly keep this in mind and be sure to use my old fart super powers when the hormonal radiation interferes with lectures.

I have been accepted and have been jumping through the various hoops required to start giving them my money. I was required to take sexual assault awareness and alcohol/drug awareness courses that seemed more about limiting liability and protecting the dating/party scene of brick and mortar universities than anything else. It also seriously sucked that it was material from a corporate 3rd party. If they don't nip that crap in the bud it won't be long before there is whole year of required corporate propaganda required just to start school.

I was very shocked to find out that just about all the courses I took in my half hearted attempts nearly 30 years ago where accepted as transfer credits. I'm actually starting as a sophomore. I'm eligible for financial aid as well. My biggest concern at this point is trying to get out of orientation so I can get registered for the chemistry and math classes I want. The transfer credits were really a godsend . I can't imagine taking english and history classes without turning every session into heated debates about social engineering. I would much rather dedicate my mental energy towards understanding the mysteries of the universe :) .

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 10:23

Congratulations!
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 03:52

Congratulations. I have thought about doing the same thing. Maybe one day. One of our members, can’t remember which one, teaches chemistry in Buffalo, NY. If he wasn’t so far away I would have taken his class many years ago.
Please do keep us updated with your exploits and adventures.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 10:03

Thank You for the kind words and Congratulations :D

For those who just might be considering the same thing....

I am really nervous about the age difference. I keep telling myself that my biggest reservations stem from stereotyping college age folks and people are individuals and more open minded than I tend to think. I was very supportive of a woman in her 60's that I took a speach class with back when I was 20. I can expect that same supportive attitude from others. I'm going to school because I want to learn and it's mostly irrelevent who else is in class if I keep that in mind. I'm lucky that I have the time and health and I don't have to make it about landing a job (but it can be). I'm also lucky that the social aspects that I found so distracting at 20 won't be an issue. I can let my inner nerd shine proudly.

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by itsafineday]

Go To Top