[*] posted on 17-2-2020 at 08:21
New cardboard #8 power detonator video

https://youtu.be/6P4yiN_A-o4
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2020 at 13:05

Test vs. Witness plate?

I know NHN is supposed to be safe, but I still don't like that view of holding the device in your fingers while pressing...

wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-2-2020 at 14:20

Quote: Originally posted by Gargamel  
Test vs. Witness plate?

I know NHN is supposed to be safe, but I still don't like that view of holding the device in your fingers while pressing...

NHN isn't going to be set off by pressing a wooden dowel down in a paper cartridge. Nowhere near enough friction energy, not even close. If you are using anything other than NHN as a primary, no matter how safe you think your being, you are not safe enough. XeonTheMGPony is the only person on this board that I have seen that uses sensitive primaries like Lead Azide and has the elaborate equipment setup to safely use them. I did put a disclaimer on the video stating that the method I was using isn't safe for any other primary.

[Edited on 19-2-2020 by wessonsmith]
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-2-2020 at 05:09

Quote:
NHN isn't going to be set off by pressing a wooden dowel down in a paper cartridge. Nowhere near enough friction energy, not even close

I know. But the feeling about it is not good anyway ;)

Still I'd be curious if this only creates a firecracker or actually goes high order.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-2-2020 at 05:35

Quote:
NHN isn't going to be set off by pressing a wooden dowel down in a paper cartridge. Nowhere near enough friction energy, not even close

I know. But the feeling about it is not good anyway ;)

Still I'd be curious if this only creates a firecracker or actually goes high order.

This video should answer that question. And oh yes, it's one hell of a LOUD firecracker as well!:)
https://youtu.be/BzCQxxl_dw0

FYI, I removed the hot glue bottom for the test because it creates a 4mm standoff distance for the secondary charge in the detonator. With a 4mm standoff, the detonator won't damage the witness plate. For initiating plastic, the 4mm bottom doesn't matter.

I removed that standoff distance by cutting off that 4mm at the bottom. I wanted to show just how powerful these detonators are.

[Edited on 19-2-2020 by wessonsmith]
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-2-2020 at 06:23

Thanks for sharing.

I was under the impression that NHN needs strong confinement, that's why I tossed the idea of using it some time ago. So obviously that's not always true...
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-2-2020 at 12:52

Thanks for sharing.

I was under the impression that NHN needs strong confinement, that's why I tossed the idea of using it some time ago. So obviously that's not always true...

I think that idea got started because it wasn't being properly made. I have plenty of video evidence that shows that a cardboard tube is all you need to go high-order on a powdered secondary like PETN or ETN.

Go To Top