Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Starter reagents for Organic Chemistry
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 14:08

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
A chemistry lab without concentrated sulfuric acid is like a Mediterranean kitchen without olive oil. xD

[Edited on 16-4-2020 by Cou]

Lol, I agree. I got my sulfuric acid now 1L 98%, I have started getting a decent selection of reagents.

Another question does potassium sorbate or sorbic acid have a use in the lab? I was going through my brewing stuff and found 50g of potassium sorbate, turn about 20g into sorbic acid, more for the magic of the viewers to see 2 clear liquids form a paste before their eyes.
paulll
Hazard to Self

Mood: It's fine. Really.

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 16:45

If you're still looking for H2SO4 drain cleaner (that 1L probably won't last forever lol), Home Hardware stocks it. The red stuff in the clear bottle.
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 18:13

Quote: Originally posted by Syn the Sizer  
Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  

Depends on what you want it for.... If it was me, I would go for Nickel(II)acetate.

/CJ

I was also considering Nickle (II) acetate. I am just building my reagent list and I don't have any nickle salts so was considering which is most useful.

Thanks for the input.

Nah, don't buy a specific nickle salt directly.
I am simply using nickel(II) carbonate, pottery grade.
From this stuff on you can make whatever salt you have in mind, which is what I do, actually only either the chloride or acetate, but it is much cheaper than any other salt when bought directly.
And likely most easiest to access.

So in short, this is by far the most useful of any nickle salts you could possibly have on hand.
In my opinion.
Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
A chemistry lab without concentrated sulfuric acid is like a Mediterranean kitchen without olive oil. xD

Absolutely true...
Though it really hit a spot, since I went out of sulfuric acid three days ago and now I'm frantically thinking and planning with the sulfuric acid ban in mind to be coming soon, too soon actually :o
Stupid EU bureaucracy!
A canister, 5l at least, is what I'm thinking...
I mean, people buy olive oil in 5l canisters too, no? At least I've heard some do.... :D
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top