Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My daughter is breeding flies - and the smell is awful! Help!
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 2-3-2020 at 17:56

All of these ideas are fine but they may be overkill. You might be able to just get a bucket of antifreeze -- ethylene or propylene glycol are both fine -- and bubble the outgas through that. Hydrogen bonds and all. Bonus points if you can keep it cold.

If that's not enough, then we can start looking at acids/oxidizers/etc possibly as a second stage so it doesn't get used up as fast.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 05:17

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
From wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drain-waste-vent_system

"In modern plumbing, a drain-waste-vent (or DWV) is part of a system that allows air to enter a plumbing system to maintain proper air pressure to enable the removal of sewage and greywater from a dwelling. Waste is produced at fixtures such as toilets, sinks, and showers. As the water runs down, proper venting is required to avoid a vacuum from being created. As the water runs down air must be allowed into the waste pipe either through a roof vent, or the "drain waste vent." (or DWV)"

The vent does not have to be in roof. In some houses its external on an external wall. To work correctly the vent must be upstream of the flow not down stream. It is possible to replace the vent with a one way valve that only allows air into the pipe but not out of the pipe. In the diagram the drain on the left side of the main vertical pipe is fitted with such valve.

In some bodged systems with no vent or the vent in the wrong place when the bath is draining or the toilet is flushed the sink gurgles.

PS: What happens without the vent the water flow down the sewer forms a Sprengel vacuum pump that can suck the water out of other u bends, that generates the gurgling sounds.

[Edited on 3/2/2020 by wg48temp9]

In the Netherlands no one has a vent, really. As long as the diameters of the pipes are big enough you won't pull a vacuum anywhere and you won't need an open connection to the sewer every other ten meters.

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by Tsjerk]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 08:15

I'm Dutch too, and my house definitely does have a vent on the roof for the sewer.
I've had to repair it once, so I know exactly how the tubing runs from the space under the house, to the roof. My house was built in the early seventies. Maybe different techniques for venting the sewers were used in different areas/times?

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 13:55

Just a thought:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5787366
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 15:03

Ozone sounds like an answer with lower maintenance and operating costs to me.
ozone.jpg - 7kB

So blow the vented air through a box with one of these in it, or maybe even just an ozone bulb as Unionized suggested.

I'd probably try a large container like a 5 gallon bucket so the air is in there for a while with the uvc/ozone generator/whatever else makes ozone.

Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 16:35

Ozone seems a likely candidate - I have an HV HF source I can test with. I'd build the O3 generator as a glass tube with inner and outer electrodes and pass the waste air directly through the glow discharge to get the benefits of direct ionization, thorough mixing with O3, and UV light.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 17:26

/CJ

Growshop.jpg - 11kB

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2020 at 19:37

Hey, if you push that air/ ozone/ maggot stink mixture through a Dreschel bottle full of water you might get ammonium nitrate.

Make nitric acid from scratch, fertilize your garden, whatever.

I've read that Ozone will oxidize ammonia solution to ammonium nitrate, but I've yet to try it out.

At the very least it might retain the ozone long enough to help scrub the air one more time.
It is somewhat water soluble.

OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 12:50

What about venting the box through 16-20 vertical ft. of black ABS pipe? You can tuck it up under a tree, the sun will warm the tube and add some velocity to the gasses so they exit well above the area to disperse throughout the neighborhood.
Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2020 at 17:11

I built a 600mm tall bubble tower using 100mm PVC drain pipe with a circular aquarium bubble stone at the bottom. The internal space is filled with rings cut from 25mm PVC conduit, as a means of increasing the residency time of the bubbles.
For the acid fill I used 100g of oxalic acid in 3.5l of tap water. This fills the bubble tower to about 100mm from the top.
Timing the bubbles (by turning the pump on/off) I get a residence time of about 4 seconds.

Testing with a box of breeder flies that are just beginning to smell like week old rubbish bags ...

It works quite well - I can't smell rotting meat at all. There is a faint sulfurous smell, like extremely weak H2S, if I get my nose right up to it.

I would call this a success.
Thanks again for the suggestions, and the interesting discussion on the global variations on sewer plumbing :D

StinkFilter.jpg - 1.4MB StinkFilterInside.jpg - 1.3MB

[Edited on 14-3-2020 by Twospoons]

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2020 at 23:36

Nice! I'm interessed in how long it keeps working!

Are you planning on trying different acids? Cleaning acetic acid could be a cheap option.

[Edited on 14-3-2020 by Tsjerk]
Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2020 at 23:58

Oxalic acid is ten bucks a kilo here (NZD) so its pretty cheap. It also doesn't smell. So long as it keeps working I'll keep using it, and I expect the 100g I used in the scrubber will last quite a while.
Its also a surprisingly strong acid - I measured the pH with a cheap chinese meter (of dubious calibration) at 0.5. An online calculator predicted pH 0.6.

Frankenshtein
Harmless

Mood: oligomerized

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 13:01

The traps in plumbing are there to prevent the sewer gases from entering the home. Best to leave those alone. You also dont want bugs to infest your plumbing system. That could get extremely expensive.

I think a fan with activated charcoal is a good idea, sometimes laying baking soda around can also remove odors. Raising bugs is best done outdoors. You could maybe create an air tight seal on their container and change out the air outdoors as well.

Oxalic acid is extremely toxic to pets or anyone else that might ingest it. It's what kills when ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is ingested. Ethylene glycol should also not be inhaled, dont let it get hot. Propylene glycol is much safer but I dont know what to say about that. Read MSDS on everything you work with.

[Edited on 19-9-2020 by Frankenshtein]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top