Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Rosco Bodine has been banned
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-3-2020 at 23:51

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  
I totally disagree about banning Rosco bodine. He has been a good member and I’ve learned a lot from him.

Yes he does express his political views and maybe we should have a forum for science and politics ... that way people can talk and discuss their different points of view.

Just because someone has a different political conviction we should not ban them! Rosco has been a member longer then most of the moderator!

Can’t people just agree to be different without hating each other and banning them?

Please instate him! !

• We already have a forum for legal and societal issues. Nothing else needed.
  • We already have a long-standing policy on politics on the form. This (seemingly) severe line has been settled on: based on a number of years of experience. And it has been communicated clearly and consistently.
  • It has been noted on numerous occasions that there are plenty of places online to discuss political views. SM does not need to be one of those.

And finally, two important points relevant to this specific instance.
  1. This is Polverone's call in this case and not a decision taken lightly. I think he has the right to make such a call. Any moves to reinstate need to be directed to him. But I suspect his decision will be firm. This is not a problem that has only just happened nor a decision made in a fickle or mercurial manner.
  2. There is no suggestion that RB's banning was in any way related to the views he holds. Rather it is the manner in which he has chosen to communicate those views -- demeaning to other board members. Even that is not what got him banned. It is a long-term unwillingness to respond to reasonable requests to rein things in.

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 03:54

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men."

I've had the privilege of being a mod on another forum, so I have a fair idea of the challenges they face in here. Some people just can't be reasoned with. They refuse to follow the rules, they spit and curse every time you try to correct them and generally make everybodys life a little more miserable. Not only has Pulverone graciously created a place for us, it's completely free as well. Both him and our tireless crew of mods work for free to maintain this place, and all they ask of in return is that we follow a few common-sense rules.

Anyone who has a problem with this can go f*ck themselves as far as I'm concerned. And let's face it; he wasn't exactly advancing the discourse with new and thoughtful arguments.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 07:41

I think the mods have been extremely patient with RB.

I am happy that polverone and the mods keep this place sciencemadness. It's not politicalmadness or religionmadness.

Surely there is some other platform on the internet where RB can poste memes and indulge in endless fights over politics and ideology.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 08:03

Completely agree with EC1 and others. I've never seen a valuable contribution from him in all my time here. But it sounds like he did contribute a lot before my time, so I certainly respect that. This was long overdue though, in my opinion. I never understand people's absolute need to post unrelated rants on a chemistry forum. What's the point?

There's just one last bastion of irrelevant nonsense left. I hope this is a wake up call to just stick to chemistry on a chemistry forum, but I doubt it will be.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 08:11

I just wish there were a way to ban these people (the politically overengaged) from going to the crazy websites they visit that make them act like this, so they would go back to normal. He used to be better. It's sad to see.

[Edited on 10-3-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 08:45

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
I just wish there were a way to ban these people (the politically overengaged) from going to the crazy websites they visit that make them act like this, so they would go back to normal. He used to be better. It's sad to see.

[Edited on 10-3-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

The only one capable of that is himself.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 23:15
Crazy website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=668&v=bPq3sf...

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/coronavirus-doctor-says-high...

Techniques to Disrupt, Deviate and Seize Control of an Internet Forum In case you wonder W T F ! is going on here ?
www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-10-28/cointelpro-techniques-dilution-misdirection-and-control-internet-forum https://web.archive.org/web/20120814124000/www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/08/the-15-rules-of-internet-disinformation.html
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-3-2020 at 23:36

Quote: Originally posted by franklyn  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=668&v=bPq3sf...

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/coronavirus-doctor-says-high...

Neither of these two links is relevant to the topic of this thread, franklyn.
It seems that you are determined to continue a political discussion -- only you don't discuss. You merely assert by way of copied link.
Even if I was in complete agreement with every word of those two sources (which is quite possible – I have not gone through them in detail), this is not how SM works.

I am going to suspend posting priveleges pending feedback from the other mods. You can still U2U to put forward your reasoning if you wish.

[edit]
corrected typos: "teh" and "yo"

[Edited on 11-3-2020 by j_sum1]
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 00:07

The internet has perverted the meaning of free speech. It does not mean free and equal access to your audience of choice.

Before social media, the rabid rantings of apocalypse from a soapbox on any intersection were ignored. If you had a legitimate message and were serious about spreading it, you needed the ability to support that message with logic and reason then eventually that message could stand on its own.

Nowadays, every yahoo with an axe to grind thinks they entitled to a captive audience where they can spout their nonsense, ruffle some feathers, then leave without any attempt to defend their position except through attacks on anything to the contrary.

The people who yell the loudest about political correctness, bathe in 'librul tears', and attack what they describe as 'safe spaces', are simply scared, insecure, petulant children who will piss in the sandbox until everyone leaves. Then they can have their own echo chamber, tooting their own horn while shouting 'WE ARE WINNING!".

Good riddance
I feel better now getting that off my chest. The kind of better you feel after dropping an enormous, fibrous deuce...
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 04:01

One thing to remember is that there is a specific rule against politics on this forum, only because of how irrelevant they usually are to science vs. How divisive they can be. Left and Right wing political rants have both sent posts to detritus.

We are allowed to have differing opinions here. I got slightly triggered ;) when Franklyn posted a series of comments saying that △I/△T never has any effect on the failure mode of a fusible wire, no matter how low or high, and that self inductance has no effect on the peak current in an RLC tank circuit. But, it's his right to say all that.

But if you sign up for a forum that specifically bans politics, don't complain about censorship. You were warned and still asked for it.

Edit: my hope for Rosco is he comes back under a new name, but decides to stay undercover by avoiding political discourse on SM.

[Edited on 11-3-2020 by Vomaturge]

I now have a YouTube channel. So far just electronics and basic High Voltage experimentation, but I'll hopefully have some chemistry videos soon.
Fulmen
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 04:16

No, idiots have perverted the meaning of free speech.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 14:22

Another Garbage Decision Polverone ?

Rosco posted MORE on Your Board of any actual Chemistry than even YOU.

Arguing that he also said 'political' things is a Pure Shit excuse.

How much Chemistry has yobbo II posted of any relevance at all ?

How much have you or I posted in the past 5 years is of any relevance at all ?

Polverone, aga, yobbo II have posted pretty much Nothing of any Use or factual basis as Rosco Bodine did.

I always suspected the 'spammers' were always You all along - nobody else had any Motive.
Guessing we'll never know for sure, and it does not really matter anyway.

SM has become such a pile of Crap that it really is not worth even visiting anymore.

Many thanks to woelen for his Amazing Inspiration, blogfast25 for his Enlightenment, DraconicAcid for his OC illustrations and zts16 for his superb clarity-of-mind.

Also many others not mentioned here for their contributions several years ago.

With that, i'm outta here Even More Permanently (it's a Quantum thing)

Best of luck, and Best wishes for the Future to All.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 15:10

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

If I open up a bar for people to relax, drink, and discuss chemistry, I expect people to relax, drink, and talk about chemistry. If some people just listen, that's fine. If some people go off on tangents, that's fine. If you keep screaming in peoples' faces that they're ass-scratchers and that they need to support Trump, you're going to be kicked the hell out.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Fulmen
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 15:26

Wow, two for the price of one.

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 15:53

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

If I open up a bar for people to relax, drink, and discuss chemistry, I expect people to relax, drink, and talk about chemistry. If some people just listen, that's fine. If some people go off on tangents, that's fine. If you keep screaming in peoples' faces that they're ass-scratchers and that they need to support Trumpany politicians, you're going to be kicked the hell out.
Sigh.
I have to agree with DA.
You cant give a place a main theme to develop and be anarchist/near-anarchist at the same time.
Look at minecraft's 2b2t server (MC's oldest anarchist server).
If you want a place to mostly stay on topic then sometimes you have to do hard decisions.
How much one has contributed isnt an excuse to not be banned.
Enuf is enuf.
Thou im never harassed/insulted/offended by RB this may not be the case for others.
But considering RB has contributed significantly maybe RB should be banned only temporarily say 1 month?
We can see how he'll be doin after the tempa-ban.

[Edited on 200311 by fusso]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 17:40

With that, i'm outta here Even More Permanently (it's a Quantum thing)

See you in three months?

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 17:44

Watch out, every poster in this thread is an aga sock puppet..... Big fucking eyes roll.

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 18:55

If one were to join a political forum and constantly stray into the subject of oxidation/reduction, energetics, color chemistry of different valency states etc etc they would (I would imagine) be removed or/and laughed at.

Yob
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 19:23

All this BS about "free speech". This is a privately owned forum where Polverone is god and king, and gets to make and enforce any rules he wishes to. He kindly lets the rest of us play in the sandbox for free, so long as we obey the rules. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. Anyone who doesn't like that is free to leave at any time. Somehow RB didn't understand this concept.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 19:29

I miss Vulture - his ban hammer was strong.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 11-3-2020 at 20:01

Quote: Originally posted by Twospoons  
All this BS about "free speech". This is a privately owned forum where Polverone is god and king, and gets to make and enforce any rules he wishes to. He kindly lets the rest of us play in the sandbox for free, so long as we obey the rules. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. Anyone who doesn't like that is free to leave at any time. Somehow RB didn't understand this concept.

Simple as that.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2020 at 00:55

I don’t like loosing heavyweights. And we have to expect the geniuses to be well, crazy...

Any way you can cut some slack mods?
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-3-2020 at 03:23

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
Any way you can cut some slack mods?

Totally Polverone's call.

Curious though... When was the last post from RB that you would consider falls under the category of "genius"?
In any case. It is not the viewsor opinions or the past contributions or the genius or the lack thereof that got him banned. It was the wholesale disparagement of other members and the tainiting of every thread with politicking and the fact that he would not pull his head in when politely asked.
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-3-2020 at 10:46

Haven't been on here for very long yet, however I've made my judgment calls about the quality of certain people's contributions based on how much material they have in detritus. Certain folks who have commented on this particular thread are habitual detritus columnists and those exact same folks tend to be the most difficult to engage in civil discourse with. I know most of you probably have had good conversations and a history with some of these guys, but to me, good riddance to them.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-3-2020 at 12:00

Quote: Originally posted by ShotBored  
Haven't been on here for very long yet, however I've made my judgment calls about the quality of certain people's contributions based on how much material they have in detritus. Certain folks who have commented on this particular thread are habitual detritus columnists and those exact same folks tend to be the most difficult to engage in civil discourse with. I know most of you probably have had good conversations and a history with some of these guys, but to me, good riddance to them.

I am sorry, but to be able to judge Rosco Bodine, you have to go back a couple of decades at least, he has been on many forums, his post have been point on as far as chemistry techniques go.
I do agree that the past many years, he has stepped into a mental area that many/most cannot follow.
This man has been a giant among us. If you can stand taller than him then do so.

He is a mentor to many of us. Perhaps he is suffering some mental dilemma now but he has contributed much.

I would shake his hand tomorrow and say thank you SIR.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top