Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The structure of benzene has been determined
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 6-3-2020 at 17:02
The structure of benzene has been determined

An interesting article about the recent discovery of the true structure of benzene.
https://phys.org/news/2020-03-years-scientists-reveal-benzen...
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-3-2020 at 20:09

So, it has nothing to do with delocalized pi bonding, but it is magically stable because the electrons occupy 126 dimensions? That reads like an ad for the latest new crystal now available at the local GMO-free new age store.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 04:20

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
So, it has nothing to do with delocalized pi bonding, but it is magically stable because the electrons occupy 126 dimensions? That reads like an ad for the latest new crystal now available at the local GMO-free new age store.

This version might be clearer
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-15039-9
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 08:17

I guess I will never know, when I read 126 dimensions,
I back away. I struggle with just three or four.
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 14:40

I would be inclined to read dimensions but think degrees of freedom.

Benzene has 42 electrons (6x1 for hydrogen and 6x6 for carbon), each one has freedom in 3D. This is just 42 * 3.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 7-4-2020 at 15:19

The 126 "dimensions" are not dimensions of space but coordinates of particles which are modeled as dimensions of state space. The paper is open access, and this is explained before it gets too technical:

"However, we may inspect the 3N-dimensional electronic wavefunction (3N=126 in the case of benzene) that results from any theoretical framework (including MO theory) to regain chemical insight."

There are C6H6 = 6*6 + 1*6 = 42 electrons in a benzene molecule, and each of these has an x, y, and z-coordinate, so in the usual quasistatic approximation where the nuclei are presumed stationary, the Schroedinger equation has 42*3 = 126 variables. In the study of differential equations, we often use an analogy called state space with one dimension per variable so that the solution can be viewed as a manifold, which is a mathematical term that roughly means "smooth object". This representation gives rise to the field of mathematics called differential geometry.

The paper finds an approximate, or variational, solution to this 126-dimensional equation by using a stochastic algorithm that works within the quotient space obtained by "equating" any two points in R^126 which differ only by swapping the coordinates around [1]. For example, if I take the quotient space of R^2, the plane, up to a change of (the two) coordinates, I get half of a plane, because any point in the other half can undergo a change of coordinates that flips it to the other side. In R^3, the permutation-quotient space is bounded by the planes x = y and y = z, and is shaped like a "wedge" with interior angle of 60 degrees and edge along the line x = y = z (where the planes intersect). In order to understand this quotient space in the case of a 126-variable equation, we end up with a problem in high-dimensional geometry.

[1]What the authors do is a little different -- they only allow interchanging the coordinates of electrons with the same spin.

Ultimately this is really just a math/CS paper with good marketing. The only important conclusion is that benzene is, in fact, symmetric. But we already knew that by XRD :p

[Edited on 7-4-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
redbaron
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2020 at 04:03

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
The 126 "dimensions" are not dimensions of space but coordinates of particles which are modeled as dimensions of state space. The paper is open access, and this is explained before it gets too technical:

"However, we may inspect the 3N-dimensional electronic wavefunction (3N=126 in the case of benzene) that results from any theoretical framework (including MO theory) to regain chemical insight."

There are C6H6 = 6*6 + 1*6 = 42 electrons in a benzene molecule, and each of these has an x, y, and z-coordinate, so in the usual quasistatic approximation where the nuclei are presumed stationary, the Schroedinger equation has 42*3 = 126 variables. In the study of differential equations, we often use an analogy called state space with one dimension per variable so that the solution can be viewed as a manifold, which is a mathematical term that roughly means "smooth object". This representation gives rise to the field of mathematics called differential geometry.

The paper finds an approximate, or variational, solution to this 126-dimensional equation by using a stochastic algorithm that works within the quotient space obtained by "equating" any two points in R^126 which differ only by swapping the coordinates around [1]. For example, if I take the quotient space of R^2, the plane, up to a change of (the two) coordinates, I get half of a plane, because any point in the other half can undergo a change of coordinates that flips it to the other side. In R^3, the permutation-quotient space is bounded by the planes x = y and y = z, and is shaped like a "wedge" with interior angle of 60 degrees and edge along the line x = y = z (where the planes intersect). In order to understand this quotient space in the case of a 126-variable equation, we end up with a problem in high-dimensional geometry.

[1]What the authors do is a little different -- they only allow interchanging the coordinates of electrons with the same spin.

Ultimately this is really just a math/CS paper with good marketing. The only important conclusion is that benzene is, in fact, symmetric. But we already knew that by XRD :p

[Edited on 7-4-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

I logged in to say that this was an excellent explanation! Plus I was able to understand all of the jargon without looking anything up separately. I give you a gold star
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 26-4-2020 at 05:56

I also thought that was a splendid explanation. :cool:

Go To Top