Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 04:24
DIY alcohol sanitiser

Found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNraaXXOZk
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 09:13

Honestly, if it's such a big deal, why aren't people juat usig windshield wiper fluid? It's even got soap in it.
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 15:43

Quote: Originally posted by Junk_Enginerd  
Honestly, if it's such a big deal, why aren't people juat usig windshield wiper fluid? It's even got soap in it.

May you post the specs on this windshield wiper fluid. I tried to find out with just a short search and I was underwhelmed with the ingredients.

Educate me and perhaps others, PLEASE.
artemov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2020 at 19:43

Quote: Originally posted by CELamCheng  
Found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNraaXXOZk

DIY Graham condenser! :D
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 08:43

There are several reasons.

*It usually has some methanol in it, Methanol, being poisonous, also have lower chance killing virus than ethanol, isopropanol.

*Concentration of spirits in the fluid is low, way lower, than recommended 60% +.

*It is a nice practice, to not put non-human cleaning products on your skin.

Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 10:41

Quote: Originally posted by TheMrbunGee  

There are several reasons.

*It usually has some methanol in it, Methanol, being poisonous, also have lower chance killing virus than ethanol, isopropanol.

*Concentration of spirits in the fluid is low, way lower, than recommended 60% +.

*It is a nice practice, to not put non-human cleaning products on your skin.

MSDS of my random local wiper fluid is 50-80% ethanol, 0-10% isopropanol, 0-5% butanol. No methanol, plenty of concrentration. I'd even say perfect concentration for germ killing. Do note I'm obviously talking about concentrated wiper fluid.

You think moonshine is approved for topical use?
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 16:45

MSDS of my random local wiper fluid is 50-80% ethanol, 0-10% isopropanol, 0-5% butanol. No methanol, plenty of concrentration. I'd even say perfect concentration for germ killing. Do note I'm obviously talking about concentrated wiper fluid.

You think moonshine is approved for topical use?

Well, it may kill the germs, that eliminates only concentration point, if we just replace methanol with highly concentrated dyes of unknown origin, surfactants, that will dry Your skin up double time, possibly dealing micro-fractures on Your hands, that might even become way more vulnerable to virus particles. None of that is for human consumption so none gives many damns what is in it.

On other hand - that might not be true in Your case, or at all. I will promise You, that You won't be put in jail for smearing that stuff on hands, but that is Your decision to take unnecessary risk, or finding a better way.
_

And it is not important, what is, or is not approved, but it is informative.

You don't know what is in a bottle of vodka, so trusted 3rd party tests it then decides if that is safe to drink, and approves it, if it is. If You trust said party, You buy the vodka and drink it or smear it on whatever.

If You made the moonshine, then You know if You can or cannot drink it. But if a yellow-eyed drunk offered You some of his ”just freshly baked” - at least I would not smear that on me, and not because of methanol.

___

I am now wondering, does soapy spirits work worse than pure, because surfactants tend to make barriers. I can tell from experience, that soapy ethanol hurts less on bruises than non-soapy one of same concentration. Not sure does it mean anything in microbe level.

Go To Top