Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: List of nitromethane sensitizers and correct proportions thereof.
Katie
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 07:55
List of nitromethane sensitizers and correct proportions thereof.

Nitromethane (NM) sensitizers have been discussed here previously, however the proportions are often left out and there is no single thread containing all the info. I’d like this thread to consist of the ideal “recipes” for sensitized nitromethane explosives. I.e. for ethylenediamine (EDA), the ratio is 95% NM and 5% EDA and creates an explosive with a detonation velocity of 6000-7000m/s and can be set off with a powerful cap or cap + small booster (Lead azide + ETN booster works). Here are the sensitizers I have available and/or know of:

Ethylenediamine (PLX)= 5% with 95% NM
Nitric acid= 30% (of 70% nitric acid)
Sulfuric acid = ?
Diethylenetriamine (TexPak) = ? (Det velocity 21,000fps)
Ethanolamine = ?
Anilene = ?
Ethanolamine = ?
Aluminum powder = ?
Micro balloons = ? (what size/material? Would cab-o-sil work?)
Al+Micro balloons = ? (Dark flake, spherical, mesh?)
Ammonia = 5-6% (unknown whether anhydrous is required)
Morpholine= ?
Polymeric foam = ?

Feel free to add others I may have missed. Also, the more details the better (velocity of detonation, RE, etc) And please indicate whether you got your information from peer reviewed literature, experimentation, unverified sources, etc).

Ideally I’d like to make a detailed list of all NM sensitizers, the proportions, average cost, and rank them by RE and/or detonation velocity. I’ll do that if we can amass enough info here!
Simoski
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 21:29

The micro balloons definitely work in powdered explosive mixtures, I am not sure about liquid explosives, maybe they float on top, either way one may acquire these little devils from a surfboard manufacturing shop. Remember from chemistry if a little ball of gas is compressed, it releases heat.

B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 02:17

For diethylenetriamine
Det velocity peaks at about 0.25% w/w

Source
Detonation Properties of
Nitromethane/Diethylenetriamine Solution
V. Mochalova1,2,a), A. Utkin1,2, S. Lapin1,3
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.4971463
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 02:53

This article would be very useful, maybe someone has access?
Mechanism of Amine Sensitization in Shocked Nitromethane
Yuri A. GruzdkovYogendra M. Gupta
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2020 at 15:55

Quote: Originally posted by Katie  
Nitromethane (NM) sensitizers have been discussed here previously, however the proportions are often left out and there is no single thread containing all the info. I’d like this thread to consist of the ideal “recipes” for sensitized nitromethane explosives. I.e. for ethylenediamine (EDA), the ratio is 95% NM and 5% EDA and creates an explosive with a detonation velocity of 6000-7000m/s and can be set off with a powerful cap or cap + small booster (Lead azide + ETN booster works). Here are the sensitizers I have available and/or know of:

Ethylenediamine (PLX)= 5% with 95% NM
Nitric acid= 30% (of 70% nitric acid)
Sulfuric acid = ?
Diethylenetriamine (TexPak) = ? (Det velocity 21,000fps)
Ethanolamine = ?
Anilene = ?
Ethanolamine = ?
Aluminum powder = ?
Micro balloons = ? (what size/material? Would cab-o-sil work?)
Al+Micro balloons = ? (Dark flake, spherical, mesh?)
Ammonia = 5-6% (unknown whether anhydrous is required)
Morpholine= ?
Polymeric foam = ?

Feel free to add others I may have missed. Also, the more details the better (velocity of detonation, RE, etc) And please indicate whether you got your information from peer reviewed literature, experimentation, unverified sources, etc).

Ideally I’d like to make a detailed list of all NM sensitizers, the proportions, average cost, and rank them by RE and/or detonation velocity. I’ll do that if we can amass enough info here!

Ok, now you are asking questions that make more practical and economic sense.

I am sure there are nearly endless ways to sensitize NM... the most practical being, amines, AN, micro balloons and Al. Look up a product called helix...it mentions the correct ration for A powder.

Fun fact nearly all explosives exhibit max power at 15-18 percent Al.... do you know why?
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 21-4-2020 at 08:20

Plenty of information exists in the many subjects on this site, but for old time sakes I’ll s Hf are my experiences with Nitromethane mixtures...
Aniline is also in range of 6-7% and works well. Similar power to PLX and ease of initiation. Just smells much worse....
Epoxy resin with high amine content are said to work however I’ve not had success with them in various ratios I’m not sure why.
Using 30% high concentration HNO3 (95%+) achieved a very powerful mixture but with limitations due to highly caustic Acid used.
It also was quite sensitive and easily initiated by No7-8 or equivalent detonation device
Had experimented with 25% Aqueous Ammonia solution and achieved a nice red mixture using 90% NM 10% Ammonia but it failed to fire in moderate confinement-3mm wall Al tube 40 mm Diameter. with a No8 Cap.
Hexamine is one that I’ve been meaning to try but just never got around to it despite having a decent supply of AR grade Hexamine. It’s supposed to be a very powerful sensitiser.
One possibility may be brake fluid?
I’ll just stick to Ethylene Diamine thanks. 95-5 % is easy, quick, reliable and no fuss.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Nitrosio
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-4-2020 at 04:39

http://pyrobin.com/files/PLX.pdf
http://pyrobin.com/files/PLX2.pdf
http://pyrobin.com/files/Liquid%20Explosives3.pdf
http://pyrobin.com/files/Nitromethan7.pdf

Go To Top