Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Q]: How can I remove this stopper from the distiller ?
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 18-4-2020 at 09:19
[Q]: How can I remove this stopper from the distiller ?

I have been using this distiller for years. It works great, particularly with the water cooling.
But I cannot use a thermometer in the top with the NS 14.5/23 plug, because I cannot remove the stopper. I am reluctant to use brute force, because the distiller will probably break.

Does anybody have ideas how to remove it ?

RX601279.JPG - 2.1MBRX601278.JPG - 1.8MB
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2020 at 10:19

I would remove it by rigorous application of the search engine on this site.

Wedge the search engine between the stopper and the neck of your glassware, and then enter an appropriate term in the search engine to get advice.

You may want to lubricate the search engine to some extent with WD-40 or other light penetrating oils, or even heat the search engine with a torch so it will expand slightly, loosening it if it's stuck.

Some people boil their search engines in carbonated water and this can work for smaller stuck parts according to the instruction sheet that comes with some microscale glassware kits.

monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2020 at 11:06

Try heat (submerge in warm water to heat up the outer joint) and the wooden dowel method. Or maybe an acetone soak could help penetrate the joint.

http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/frozenglass.html

[Edited on 4-18-2020 by monolithic]
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2020 at 13:08

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  

Wedge the search engine between the stopper and the neck of your glassware, and then enter an appropriate term in the search engine to get advice.

You may want to lubricate the search engine to some extent with WD-40 or other light penetrating oils, or even heat the search engine with a torch so it will expand slightly, loosening it if it's stuck.

Some people boil their search engines in carbonated water and this can work for smaller stuck parts according to the instruction sheet that comes with some microscale glassware kits.

I tried each one of those methods and they all worked for me, but the best method was the hot water method suggested by monolithic. it has unstuck a couple stoppers for me. Then I started using lithium grease.
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 19-4-2020 at 02:25

You can as well take a spoon and knock the plug around, using some force, but not too much, not to break the stopper. You can heat it before doing so. Sometimes it works.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-4-2020 at 11:23
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 19-4-2020 at 12:41

LMAO

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-4-2020 at 21:04

Allow time. It is easy to get impatient.
I had a sep funnel recently with a similar issue. I can't remember which solution finally worked but I do remember that leaving it for >24 hours soaking in something certainly helped.
lordcookies24
Hazard to Self

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 24-4-2020 at 19:18

I had the same issue recently. It felt as if the the stopper and the joint became one. I passed the joint through warm water while applying my Grip Strength™ to it for like 20 minutes hard enough that it felt it was gonna break. It eventually came off after a while but the stopper was only the the joint for like five months instead of years in your case. You could try to let solvent through the cracks such as acetone or alcohols like methanol, ethanol, or isopropanol. Well, good luck and try not to break it when forcing it off :D.
RedDwarf
Hazard to Others

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 25-4-2020 at 05:57

Even in the depths of despair a SWIM post has the ability to make me smile (and generally I also learn something as well!) - Thank you:)
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 00:10

I learned the hard way not to ever leave any glass joints coupled. Broke a couple.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 01:21

I have a very nice rotovap multi port condensor with a plug stuck as well and I'm at a total loss as to how to get it out. If you (OP) finds something that works, let us know!

Go To Top