Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Worried that police are intercepting my packages, worried about knock on door. Or just COVID-19 shipping delays?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 18:51

Or wash your magnesium with a little diluted HCl, rinse with water and methanol and dry over CaCl2. Dry all other reagents over molecular sieves. This way most Grignards will start without any iodine or other kickstarters.

My magnesium is so active after such treatment it bubbles with methanol.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 20:09

Quote:
at least this motivated me to finally clean all of my glassware thoroughly and organize the lab in preparation for a police visit.

Any good reason works LMFAO.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 14:04

Fancy how I imagine people having "bug out box" that is put on aside and where they keep their more occult chemicals in case someone shows up for a check and all they've got to see are some biofuel experiments, homebrewing and etching and electroplating stuff. Another thing is, when one is open and even a bit eager to show things around, they tend to be looked upon.

Nowadays many commonplace lab reagents can easily fall into restricted categories, now when new EU restrictions are on place.

The more hazardous way could be to label the products to something else, for ex. storing nitric acid in car detergent canister. In case the contents are actually sampled, a more serious investigation needs to be on the grounds. I've witnessed police investigation scene of felony drug warrants and basically if the container stated it contains something, they'll count on that. In question was "a suspicious white powder" can that turned out to be some sort of legal nootropic. It was never sampled.
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 17:33

I'm all for reusing containers, but IIRC, purposely mislabeled chemicals is a big red flag for any visiting law enforcement. In some cases (meth lab busts) they sample everything. You can take your chances I guess. Maybe I'm just naive but carefully labeled containers sounds like a better option even barring cookery.

I used to have a special place for what seemed like taboo chemicals, but did away with that shit. I sleep better without feeling like I have a box of secrets. Now all my chemicals are stored together and I'm prepared to defend my reasons for having them. However, I'm privileged to live in a relatively chemistry friendly place.

Cou, I also started to play the saxophone this year. Don't give up on it so easily!
Karlos, I'm 25. I wish I had piano hands! Learning this instrument, my first, makes it seem like it would be easier than before to learn any instrument.

[Edited on 10-5-2020 by CouchHatter]
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 17:44

What, you started to playing a music instrument lately?
May I ask how old you are?
I am fed up of getting told I have piano fingers and then to explain I never ever thought about learning it.
I alwas thought "yeah well, its called arachnodyctaly, so what"?.

Now I'm in my thirties, and I wonder, if it might be beneficial to learn this still?
I would like it, I think.
But I can't afford a piano since I started to study again.

Not talking about the lady department of course :D

But would it be fun?
Would it be enjoyable?
I never ever played a musical instrument at all.
I don't know if I would like it at all?
It surely sounds like a challenge... and then again, Shulgin did so as well... it is tempting, but I never got into such a thing ever.
Frankenshtein
Harmless

Mood: oligomerized

[*] posted on 21-9-2020 at 09:30

I dont understand why people are afraid of the police. In traffic I found some are very rude and some are very nice. Like anything else, it depends on the individual.

Because of the design of the law it's best not to have certain combinations of things regardless of whether youre doing anything wrong or not. I dont know why sodium would be an issue, but just dont have any of that sudafed or bronkaid laying around. The state keeps track of such purposes so just some iodine is ridiculous to worry about. I've used bronkaid for energy, diet as it's an appetite supressant, and for congestion. I've thrown away any of it I had still laying around when I see it.

I can assure you, you have nothing to worry about if you dont have any bad intentions. I would not go talk to a lawyer especially if it costs you money. You are just panicking and working yourself up, I do it all the time too for other things, it serves no purpose.

Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 21-9-2020 at 14:46

CouchHatter: You are saxophone player? That's cool! :D

Many years ago I also wanted to play on saxophone. I played on recorder that time. My teacher told me, that clarinet is good preparation for playing on saxophone. So I started to play on clarinet and I played on it for many years. My teacher led also ensemble (3 clarinets, 1 bassclarinet and 2 flutes) and his bassclarinetist planned to leave. So I started to play on bassclarinet in ensemble and it was really fun. The bassclarinet is played in exactly the same way as the clarinet, so I didn't need to learned something new (bassclarinet have on the bottom in addition four keys - small E flat, small D, small C sharp and small C - which clarinets don't have. Some clarinets have key for small E flat elsewhere, some don't (typically french clarinets don't have small E flat)).

So bassclarinet went to the foreground for me, because I really enjoyed all concerts, competitions and also ordinary exercises. With years I become more lazy, so finally I didn't start to play saxophone. At the end of second grade on high school I also stop playing on clarinet (which I honestly slacked that time) and also stop playing on bassclarinet. I felt that ensemble wasn't that good when I started (all players I started with was somewhere else) and my school getting longer and longer schedule every year and I was lazy to spend evenings doing something else (maybe I was stupid, maybe I should've stayed for another few years in the ensemble, but it doesn't matter now). So now it is 4 years after my leaving.

Which kind of saxophon do you play on? Bass, bariton, alt or soprano?

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 21-9-2020 at 15:40

packages are still being delayed.
Some of it is vendors having to wait on their own suppliers.
International shipping is completely fucked.
The slow boat from china/russia is SLOW.
The vast majority of what I order is inorganic, so not too concerned about the authorities.
Large bag of white powder is clearly labelled food grade calcium carbonate 99.9%. And it is food grade calcium carbonate.
I would be more concerned about a ticket for bootlegging if they showed up.
The only thing I am currently cooking is ferrites, and that uses some serious heat.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top