Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Regarding laws in south asian countries
vyper47
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2020 at 01:19
Regarding laws in south asian countries

Hi,

I'm a noob here, mind anything wrong.

People from south asian countries, how do you acquire your stuffs? Most things including acids and many organics are controlled here

Alright, let me mention some laws in my country: (not india, but has india on three sides)

- buying ethanol or any sort of spirit is STRICTLY prohibited to buy or posess due to the alcohol-prevention laws
- all mineral acids, potassium hydroxide and even PHENOL is prohibited to buy or posess, due to a rise in acid violence in the 2000's
- all inorganic nitrates, chlorates, perchlorates and nitro-explosives are banned under the explosives law. KMnO4 is not banned tho. Hydrogen peroxide 35% isnt
- some stuff like toluene, acetone and methanol are also classified "drug precursors" but I had many sellers willing to sell, as this law is kinda lenient

But I do have an advantage: clandestine labs arent common here, so people don't mind some high school students making labs (I happen to study at a nationwide renowned school, a BIG advantage)

I'm currently doing inorganic stuffs and electrochemistry. I recently bought an organic 24/29 kit. What should I even do?
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 26-4-2020 at 02:46

Those are some serious restrictions you have to deal with! What inorganic chemistry are you doing? What electrodes do you have? What do you want from the hobby or is it more than that? Do you want to acquire the chemicals that are restricted in your country or do you want to know procedures you can do with what you are able to obtain? Most importantly what are you interested in?
vyper47
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2020 at 06:55

I'll obviously try to keep cops away from my home. Police is corrupt here, so life would be hell if they knock

I have steel, carbon and platinized titanium mesh electrodes. I did manage to make some sulfuric acid using the copper sulfate pentahydrate I hoarded. Made some impure manganese sulfate with it

I'm currently in 11th grade, and plan to study chemistry/nuclear science. The chemistry hobby is kinda new, not older than 2 years

My interests are unstable. However, right now I'm into dyes and pigments. I need nitric acid to make the components for azo dyes, HCl for the diazonium salts etc

I do have glassware, and loads of test tubes. My mum is a doctor, she brought me lots of test tubes from the hospital pathology lab
vyper47
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2020 at 07:01

And about OTC stuffs here: no drain cleaner brand contains any acid. All of them are sodium hydroxide due to the laws

Can't buy vodka or anything with ethanol

I do know a chemical store owner who sold me the common solvents. I didn't miss the opportunity and hoarded acetone, toluene, MEK, methanol, isopropanol, ethylene glycol and 35% hydrogen peroxide. He also sold me potassium dichromate, sodium metabisulfite and acetic acid

What would you advice me?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 13:20

What awful country are you in? Move! (assuming you can). When I was in Thailand everything was proscribed and everything was available. I miss being able to buy opium.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
TriiodideFrog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 18:07

In Singapore, I heard that the drain cleaner is only made of enzymes and stuff like that.

Go To Top