Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: butyl butyrate
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-5-2020 at 08:59
butyl butyrate

90,0 g butyric acid + 83,2 g 1-butanol (slight excess) + 5 ml conc. H2SO4 (added dropwise !!! while stirring) + 35 ml hexane (at least 2x the volume of empty Dean-Stark trap adapter)
rfx for 1 h using Dean-Stark trap adapter (very good device to see the reaction progress), at the end the amount of trapped water ceased so totally 19,5 ml of H2O collected, it had very slight odor of 1-butanol (that's why slight excess of 1-butanol used)
cooled down to room temperature
using 500 ml separatory funnel washed 2x200 ml of cold water, 2x100 ml of 5% NaHCO3 (! a little of CO2 evolution !), 2x200 ml of cold water
dried by freezing in freezer at -18 C overnight, then further drying using anh. Na2SO4
simple distillation using oil bath, first fraction distilled was the hexane which was discarded, the main fraction collected at 163-168 C (lit. 166 C)
yield 112,3 g

IMG_20200430_173832_8_sm.jpg - 39kB IMG_20200503_161553_4_sm.jpg - 37kB IMG_20200503_163737_3_sm.jpg - 12kB IMG_20200503_172357_9_sm.jpg - 18kB

Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 18-5-2020 at 16:07

epic x)

according to this chart, it should smell like pineapple

fruity banana pineapple green cherry fruit tropical fruit fruit ripe fruit juicy fruit

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 18-5-2020 at 16:25

I find it one of the "generic tutti-frutti" esters, rather than a specific fruit.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 18-5-2020 at 20:17

Uh, you can use hexane as a dean-stark solvent? this is surprising. It doesn't even form an azeotrope with water. the boiling point of hexane is also substantally lower than the boiling point of water.

A suitable solvent for dean-stark fischer esterification should have a boiling point well below the boiling point of both reactants. e.g. toluene doesn't work here b/c it boils at 110 C, which is too close to the boiling point of 1-butanol (117 C).

[Edited on 19-5-2020 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-5-2020 at 23:06

DraconicAcid is right, I recognize butyl butyrate as tutti-frutti, very pleasant. Best pineapple scent for me are ethyl hexanoate (very pleasant), then allyl valerate (in very low concentrations only, otherwise slightly irritating). Though there are certainly better pineapple scents based on sulfur organocompounds (occuring naturally in ripe pineapple fruit) which I cannot synthesize in my home lab (yet).
Cou - hexane really works to remove water by distillation (but is not very efficient) and by some extent it also reduces loses of the ester dissolved in water (in the water captured in Dean-Stark trap and during the workup). The ester table is not 100% correct. There are also differences in perception of scents among people.
Another mistake I found here in different thread claiming walnut scent for ethyl valerate:
Quote: Originally posted by Chemophiliac  
Walnut (ethyl valerate)- ethyl alcohol and valeric acid

Ethyl valerate has fruity scent for me, not walnut at all.
The best experience is usually to synthesize the ester and then try its scent by yourself.

[Edited on 19-5-2020 by Fery]

Go To Top