Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mining highly active Uranium ore
EliasExperiments
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 21:12
Mining highly active Uranium ore

In this video I show how I mine some uranium ore with high activity in germany:

https://youtu.be/nih7q3L6DHU

Does anybody know any other amazing places on this world, where you can find such huge untouched veins of uranium ore?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2020 at 11:56

Nice! I should have known this when I was living in Munich... I will visit when I'm in the neighborhood!
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 5-5-2020 at 16:43

as someone from italy with a fetish of some kind for radioactive stuff, i've searched quite a bit around me.

i went through forums, youtube videos, websites etc

italy is pretty crap, we don't have many uranium sites, the few we have, are prospecting mines mined 60 years ago and then closed soon after when we banned any nuclear energy program in the 80'.
most of the places i found, are just general locations, like the woods around a village, a mountain, some spots around a field, but every site is at least 6 hours of driving away from me, so or i plan a week long thing to search around, or nothing as i'm pretty sure i can't find much in a few hours with very broad directions.

the czech republic has some good sites, the ones i know are the mining shafts around the mining complex in Pribram, there are already a few youtue videos of those places. maybe not the highest radioactive samples, but though the rubble you can find something worth.

If someone lives in Utah or Nevada they are quite lucky for uranium ore prospecting, they have even a guided tour lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 00:53

@Ubya: Have you looked for alum shale deposits? Under the right conditions (marine sediments with high organic content) you can get uranium rich deposits. I posted a little bit on the subject here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=152738

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 01:59

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
...italy is pretty crap, we don't have many uranium sites, the few we have, are prospecting mines mined 60 years ago and then closed soon after when we banned any nuclear energy program in the 80'....

How about the tailings/scrap sections of those old mining sites - might they contain some (maybe smaller, but still worthwhile) appreciable amount of U?
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 03:53

Thanks for posting, I've been curous about that area.

Any plans to extract U from the ore?

In Italy, at least you have interesting mines and minerals. I greatly enjoy rock hunting, but unfortunately find myself living in a geologically boring very large river delta. Almost no bedrock to be found within 100 km around me.

[Edited on 7-5-2020 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer

Go To Top