Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cheap, interesting elements/compounds to buy?
Draeger
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly getting ready for new projects

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 05:41
Cheap, interesting elements/compounds to buy?

I currently can't really spend all that much money, so I was wondering which elements I should buy? As you can see in my signature, I really don't have a lot and I was wondering which element could be fun to play around with, and can maybe be used long term, so I don't have to buy too much else. I don't have a fume hood or the ability to really do anything outside, so particularly toxic elements aren't really something I can handle.

Any ideas?

Collected elements:
Al, Cu, Ga, C (coal), S, Zn, Na

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
citric acid, sodium acetate, sodium citrate, petroleum, mineral oil
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 06:16

You could add some form(s) of K to your collection by extracting it from your urine! :)

There's a recent thread related to that floating about IIRC.

Here it is.
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 06:17

I think Boron compounds are incredibly interesting and has a multitude of interesting studies in many fields surrounding it right now. Elemental, amorphous Boron can be a bit expensive (around $40/kg), but I think you can get boric acid for fairly cheap!
Draeger
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 06:34

Quote: Originally posted by G-Coupled  
You could add some form(s) of K to your collection by extracting it from your urine! :)

There's a recent thread related to that floating about IIRC.

Here it is.

That's a bit too gross to me.

Collected elements:

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 07:07

Molybdenum have quite interesting chemistry. Molybdenum compounds aren't cheap, but also they aren't too expensive. And you don't need big quantities of it. The most common molybdenum compounds are sodium molybdate, molybdenum trioxide, ammonium molybdate and ammonium heptamolybdate. In my country you can get bottle with 100g sodium molybdate dihydrate for 11€. For test tube reactions and few preparations of molybdenum complexes it's just enough. I am working on article about Mo complex chemistry - so you can latter check my website for inspiration. I plan more articles about Mo chemistry, but I sadly haven't enough time to wrote them, so it will took some time. Here is article about Mo redox chemistry.

Very interesting and colourful redox chemistry have Mn. If you can get KMnO4 and one another manganese compound (MnO2, MnCO3, MnSO4, MnCl2, Mn(NO3)2...) and few other reagents you are able to due really remarkable chemistry. KMnO4 can be purchased online or in local pharmacy, rest of Mn compounds online. I know that KMnO4 is hard to obtain in many countries, CZ is somewhat more benevolent in selling chemicals than western Europe, but I think that KMnO4 should be at least obtainable in pharmacy in Germany. At worst there are few ways how to make it from MnO2. Here is something about Mn redox chemistry in alkaline solution.

[Edited on 6-5-2020 by Bedlasky]

Draeger
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 07:50

Quote: Originally posted by ShotBored  
I think Boron compounds are incredibly interesting and has a multitude of interesting studies in many fields surrounding it right now. Elemental, amorphous Boron can be a bit expensive (around $40/kg), but I think you can get boric acid for fairly cheap!

I don't want to accidentally create boranes somehow, so I don't really feel safe handling boron compounds. I might look into it once I have more experience and can guarantee I don't accidentally create boranes.

Collected elements:

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:

Organic:
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 15:11

Chinesium.
Unobtainium.
Adamantium.

For the starters.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 17:14

Quote: Originally posted by Refinery  
Chinesium.
Unobtainium.
Adamantium.

For the starters.

I once found an ad for 1 troy ounce of Unobtanium encased in in an Adamantium shell. I was excited I thought "Hell Unobtanium and Adamantium in 1 order, I can get 2 birds stones at once", when my order arrived I was so eager to bust that package open and fix my eyes on 2 elements I had only heard of in story books and can't seem to find on a periodic table, I opened the package and was faced with a 1.5cm cube of blue Chinesium in a clear Chinesium bubble pack. I should have know better when it was advertised for $1.99.

All jokes aside, KI is pretty cheap if you are looking to add K to your list, and if you get enough you can you can isolate I and have 2 elements for both your collection and to work with. NaBr and isolate Br and store in ampules. Mg ribbon is fairly cheap too. None of these are super interesting but with Mg menthol and a few other items you can produce Na metal using the NurdRages method.

Edit:
I should say isolating K from KI is not easy like isolating I from KI

[Edited on 7-5-2020 by Syn the Sizer]

[Edited on 7-5-2020 by Syn the Sizer]
njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 19:29

@Draeger please let me know how to accidentally create boranes because that sounds like a useful skill
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 01:56

Rhodium

Iron? It really is dirt cheap and you can get really nice electrolytically refined chunks which are very pretty.

Silicon is one of my favorite, you can get exceedingly pure samples (> 99.99%) in the form of large chunks very cheaply and they look stunning. Pretty useless however.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 02:25

I am not promoting these guys or affiliated with them, but they are in your general 'vicinity' and have a lot of reasonably priced and interesting compounds.
https://chemcraft.su/
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 04:08

Chemcraft and Onyxmet are great sources for your needs.
They have very pure elements in several form, allotropes etc. Both have a decent range of interesting products too.

Then there are Chinese sellers on eBay that are way cheaper but... https://youtu.be/Ef9QnZVpVd8
Though this could be interesting for you since you'd have to find out way to make sure you got the real thing !

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 06:21

No way to make boranes from boric acid and borax, so no reason to fear them. They are mildly toxic, but not so much that you can't put them in your laundry.

I have some old samples of a few odd elements that I collected years ago. If people in the US are interested in odd elements, let me know and maybe I can gather up some samples of them to share. I had things like cadmium metal, silicon (very useful for making chips), zinc, tin, and quite a few others, which I need to dig out of my older junk pile. Just kinda curious how many people in the US do that.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 07:02

I bought a used 'chemistry set' via eBay when I started this hobby about 6 years ago,
Some have lots of useful equipment and chemicals and can be very cheap

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 08:31

Based on the list of compounds in your signature, it looks like you have a lot of copper chemistry you can do before you even get burned out on what you have. You can make basic copper(II) carbonate,* copper(II) chloride, copper(II) oxide, and copper(II) citrate just with what you have listed in your signature. Look at the Sciencemadness Wiki pages for any of these if you need help.

*Assuming you have or can easily obtain sodium bicarbonate, though it isn't in your signature.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 12:27

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
Based on the list of compounds in your signature, it looks like you have a lot of copper chemistry you can do before you even get burned out on what you have. You can make basic copper(II) carbonate,* copper(II) chloride, copper(II) oxide, and copper(II) citrate just with what you have listed in your signature. Look at the Sciencemadness Wiki pages for any of these if you need help.

*Assuming you have or can easily obtain sodium bicarbonate, though it isn't in your signature.

I have been looking for another copper compound I could make with what I have here, why didn't I think of copper II citrate.
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 13:54

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  

He can also make tetraaminecopper sulfate monohydrate.

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 21:48

Niobium is reported to display a blue patina when the pure metal is allowed to weather in air. Wikipedia shows it on a cube:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobium#/media/File:Niobium_cr...

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]

Go To Top