Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sources of peroxide compounds and substitution?
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 04:21
Sources of peroxide compounds and substitution?

I've came up with trouble sourcing sodium perborate and ammonium persulfate, so I looked up for alternative methods, and found that sodium persulfate is otc, and sodium percarbonate (sodium carbonate peroxide) is found in bleaching powders, mixed with sodium carbonate and sodium chloride. There is, though, couple of sources that sell somewhat pure sodium percarbonate. Are these compounds interchangeable? I figured out that the powder with NaCO3 and NaCl could be used directly, because these should not react with the synthesis itself.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 04:27

Interchangeable in which context? What synthesis?
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 05:11

The synthesis consists of 40mL GAA, 20mL of acetone and 27.8g sodium perborate. Perborates seem to be phased out due to environmental issues, but every source cites percarbonate interchangeable.

[Edited on 8-5-2020 by Refinery]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 05:40

What sources?
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 09:04

I believe the matter of the syntheses of this topic is irrelevant, but more of how per-compounds can be substituted, because there are multitude of them and many syntheses describe certain ones, perhaps because of need, or perhaps because of availability.

The list of chemicals I'm interested here:

Sodium percarbonate
Sodium persulfate
Sodium perborate
Ammonium --

What are their interchangeability for syntheses in general?

With sources I mean OTC. Where they can be sourced as pure as possible, and what they are usually mixed with (sodium carbonate, sodium silicate, sodium chloride, tensides, etc) and can they be used directly or purified prior to use?

I'm tired of chemistry that uses routes that do work, but require exotic and exclusive chemicals that are either extremely difficult to obtain and/or extremely expensive, making any practical scale unaffordable to the common hobbyist. Any institution with access to any substance imaginable with unlimited funding and equipment. No offense, I mean, but personally I think chemistry as a hobby is finding the optimal route based on skill, availability, price and other factors.

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 10:18

Persulfates may be made by electrolysis. Sodium persulfate in particular is the most useful anyway because it has the highest solubility; other persulfates can be obtained by metathesis. Ammonium persulfate is used as a circuit board etchant and usually comes up only because it is easier to obtain than the others.

Perborates are special and cannot be replaced with other inorganic peroxides, but are only necessary anyway for Baeyer-Villiger reactions where they may also be substituted by organic peracids. The preparation of organic peracids is OTC and many descriptions are available.

Sodium percarbonate is almost never useful due to its rapid decomposition in aqueous solution. It might be used for the Dakin reaction but here 3% aqueous H2O2 is already sufficient and nothing is more OTC.

The only peroxides that present a barrier to entry to my knowledge are concentrated H2O2 and peroxymonosulfate (Oxone). But as far as I know dilute H2O2 can be concentrated by simply boiling possibly with a suitable stabilizer which is usually a small amount of phosphoric acid. Peroxymonosulfate I don't know exactly but I think it can be made from potassium persulfate somehow.

Most of these topics have been discussed in detail if you simply UTFSE...

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 11:34

The synthesis specifically requests sodium perborate, hence I thought could I substitute it with other OTC per-compounds (as per name).
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 12:47

You can make peroxides using perhydrol easily.
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 13:21

Quote:

one (14.6 g; 0.09 mol) in a mixture of glacial acetic acid (40mL) and acetone (20mL)was added sodiumperborate (27.8 g; 0.18 mol)in portions over a six hour period while heating the mixture to between 50 – 60°C. The reaction progresswasmonitoredbyGC/MSoverseveralhoursuntil the reaction had gone to completion.

On a notice, the reaction does not involve water, hence decomposition should not be an issue per se.

H2O2 is a controlled substance in EU for individuals so it's not OTC.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 14:39

Literally every drugstore and pharmacy sells 3% hydrogen peroxide. In the Netherlands you can buy up to 12% as a individual without any permit.

And if you can't tell what specific reaction you want to perform, I don't think anyone can help you any better than clearly_not_atara already did, who already did a really good job I think...
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 14:41

Its certainly the baeyer-villiger, and for that he can use OTC oxone... :cool:
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 15:24

Tsjerk: yes it is available, but the price can easily be 30€ per liter for 3% so performing any reaction beyond test tube scale will gross the budget by an order of magnitude.

I checked and oxone appears to be available at 100% purity.

Could anyone refer to any good sources to read upon oxidations with it that could be substituted for percarbonate/borate/etc?
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 16:59

We don't know for what it will be substituted.
Tell us your substrate, then we can help you.
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 23:43

Acetone, a weak acid and an easily available peroxide substitute. Yep, I've heard enough, good bye!
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 00:40

Quote: Originally posted by Refinery  

H2O2 is a controlled substance in EU for individuals so it's not OTC.

I forgot... In poland it's no problem to buy few liters of 35% stuff, it's super cheap and it is not controlled at all.
And I wonder how it is in US...

[Edited on 9-5-2020 by mackolol]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 00:52

I found 12% H2O2, 5 liters, including shipping, delivered next Tuesday for 27.90 euro. On Amazon, in one minute.
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 01:44

Quote: Originally posted by Sigmatropic  
Acetone, a weak acid and an easily available peroxide substitute. Yep, I've heard enough, good bye!

Now that you put it this way, I see where this is going and no, this does not involve any energetic substances neither I don't want to have any side products that can cause issues. Fancy how chemistry goes: one step that way and DEA is on you, and one step to the other and it's the ATF.

The synthesis I quoted left out the reactant which is 3-methyl-4-phenyl-3-buten-2-one.
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 02:57

Then just use oxone in DMF, this works too.

Go To Top