Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for Sudan III (Sudan Red) or substitutes...
nimgoldman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 07:02
Looking for Sudan III (Sudan Red) or substitutes...

I am looking for Sudan III dye to use it as indicator in ozonolysis.

I could only find Sudan IV, which is - like Sudan III - also used for dyeing lipid tissues.

I don't know if I can substitute Sudan III for IV in ozonolysis, but all sources I found used III specifically...

Local chemical supply houses I found, who have it, don't sell to individuals.

Maybe a gas washing bottle with KI solution to detect ozone absorbtion would also do?

I don't want to "over-ozonize" my sample compound so having Sudan III would be great...
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 8-5-2020 at 12:13

Can't you just buy it online? https://www.homesciencetools.com/product/sudan-iii-stain-sol...
Johnny Windchimes
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sorry, it's my chimes~!

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 05:30

I'm in the market too for This attached paper.

eBay, Amazon and a few supply houses I've googled carry it at so-so prices. A little goes a long way~!

Attachment: schiaffo2008 - Copy.pdf (138kB)
This file has been downloaded 274 times

*EDIT - This thread has some Ki / starch indicator for end point ozonolysis info by the one and only Melgar (and musings by others too!)

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=82...

[Edited on 10-5-2020 by Johnny Windchimes]

~Incredibly profound and/or wise quote goes here~
Johnny Windchimes
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 06:29

.....Or you could try making some!

Attachment: weisz2017 - Copy.pdf (1.8MB)
This file has been downloaded 333 times

nimgoldman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 07:29

Unfortunately, I am from EU and eBay does not show any results from nearbly - it's either from US, some vintage bottles and lots of postcards of "Bank of Sudan".

I will try look up some EU vendors that sell to individuals...

Hmmm... there IS the item on eBay, but for some reason global eBay does not show them!
Johnny Windchimes
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 08:43

Quote: Originally posted by nimgoldman  
Unfortunately, I am from EU and eBay does not show any results from nearbly - it's either from US, some vintage bottles and lots of postcards of "Bank of Sudan".

I will try look up some EU vendors that sell to individuals...

Hmmm... there IS the item on eBay, but for some reason global eBay does not show them!

https://www.scbt.com/p/sudan-iii-85-86-9

These guys ship overseas, also their prices AREN'T rediculous for some reason; most legit supply houses are overpriced or don't sell to individuals.

25 grams will last you quite awhile~!

Shipping might be more than the item costs but its like a one-time purchase; It's been over a year and I'm still going through my 10 grams of bromophenol blue and I use it all the time!!

DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 02:32

Quote: Originally posted by Johnny Windchimes  

https://www.scbt.com/p/sudan-iii-85-86-9

These guys ship overseas, also their prices AREN'T rediculous for some reason; most legit supply houses are overpriced or don't sell to individuals.

25 grams will last you quite awhile~!

Shipping might be more than the item costs but its like a one-time purchase; It's been over a year and I'm still going through my 10 grams of bromophenol blue and I use it all the time!!

Doesn't appear to be correct. I just tried to place an order with them (not for this dye but for a different reagent) after seeing your post and they are saying that they can't sell to individuals:

Quote:

Dear David,

thank you very much for your web order mentioned in the subject line.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to ship our products to a private person, I’m sorry.

Our products are for research use only. So please let me know an appropriate address for billing and shipping, such as a university or a company.

And please let me also know a VAT number.

Only then will I be able to process your order.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

[Name removed]
Customer Service Representative

D-69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Johnny Windchimes
Hazard to Self

sad.gif posted on 13-5-2020 at 08:51

YOU....

....Are absolutely right:(

I emailed them and indeed that is their policy regardless of where you are in the world it would seem.:mad:

A few possibilities:

1) I put in my bromophenol blue order over a year ago and their policy was different then (unlikely).

2) I emailed them first from my university address to chat, with my signature block and department affiliation, and that broke the ice either accidentally or otherwise (more likely but still unlikely).

3) It's just a dye, no HAZMAT entanglements to speak of, so I had it shipped to my res on campus at the time, with the university address clearly visible, and they didn't bother to check to see if it was a chemistry department office or a student dorm (the most likely).

Looks like I slipped through the cracks on that one.... my sincere apologies for advocating that company. I managed to snag half a gram of Sudan III from my chem department (I know, I know, COVID says I can't visit.... but I did, and it was empty) so I'm all set, but now that I know that company is off limits, I'm kinda bummed about not being able to legit buy more:(

[Edited on 13-5-2020 by Johnny Windchimes]

DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 09:17

Quote: Originally posted by Johnny Windchimes  
YOU....

....Are absolutely right:(

I emailed them and indeed that is their policy regardless of where you are in the world it would seem.:mad:

A few possibilities:

1) I put in my bromophenol blue order over a year ago and their policy was different then (unlikely).

2) I emailed them first from my university address to chat, with my signature block and department affiliation, and that broke the ice either accidentally or otherwise (more likely but still unlikely).

3) It's just a dye, no HAZMAT entanglements to speak of, so I had it shipped to my res on campus at the time, with the university address clearly visible, and they didn't bother to check to see if it was a chemistry department office or a student dorm (the most likely).

Looks like I slipped through the cracks on that one.... my sincere apologies for advocating that company. I managed to snag half a gram of Sudan III from my chem department (I know, I know, COVID says I can't visit.... but I did, and it was empty) so I'm all set, but now that I know that company is off limits, I'm kinda bummed about not being able to legit buy more:(

[Edited on 13-5-2020 by Johnny Windchimes]

It's conceivably related to whether or not it's listed as hazmat.

I tried to order 2-chloroacetamide and trimethylsilylchloride, both of which mention this on the product page: "This is classified as a Dangerous Good for transport and may be subject to additional shipping charges". That same statement is not present on the Sudan III.

But I think it's more likely that they saw an address with "XYZ University" in it and just assumed the address was an academic lab not a residence.

Edit: I've replied to their email stating that I'm not affiliated with any institution/company and asking if the policy applies to all products or just ones marked as dangerous goods.

Edit 2: They said it applies to all products, not just ones marked as dangerous goods.

[Edited on 14-5-2020 by DavidJR]
DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 10:12

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sudan-III-C-I-26100-100g/18427342...
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-5-2020 at 04:26

Quote: Originally posted by nimgoldman  
I am looking for Sudan III dye to use it as indicator in ozonolysis.

I could only find Sudan IV, which is - like Sudan III - also used for dyeing lipid tissues.

I don't know if I can substitute Sudan III for IV in ozonolysis, but all sources I found used III specifically...

Local chemical supply houses I found, who have it, don't sell to individuals.

Maybe a gas washing bottle with KI solution to detect ozone absorbtion would also do?

I don't want to "over-ozonize" my sample compound so having Sudan III would be great...

http://forum.lambdasyn.org/index.php?topic=2347.0

Looks like a fun project.

Go To Top