Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury mitigation
QuicksilverHg
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 16:24
Mercury mitigation

I recently acquired two small mercury thermometers, they are so responsive I should like to utilize the full sized lab variety if the opportunity arose. The purpose of this post is to query whether I might use sulfur power or zinc in the event of breakage. A recent post in this board on spilled mercury in a middle school made me question the efficacy of zinc powder...plus, I have finely divided sulfur in large quantity.
If anyone has experience with the sulfur method I would appreciate your insight.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2020 at 21:35

both Zn powder and S are good, but Zn is better

QuicksilverHg
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 11:47

Thanks Fery, after watching this video: https://youtu.be/Ct2NwIp26d4 I am not satisfied with the action of sulfur on binding with mercury. I am curious if copper solder wick would be effective, I have heard of copper amalgams and should think non-oxidized copper would prove effective.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 19:43

Quote: Originally posted by QuicksilverHg  
Thanks Fery, after watching this video: https://youtu.be/Ct2NwIp26d4 I am not satisfied with the action of sulfur on binding with mercury. I am curious if copper solder wick would be effective, I have heard of copper amalgams and should think non-oxidized copper would prove effective.
He used the same spoon to scoop the Hg and S and not putting them in a proper container, facepalm and SMH
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 06:33

How about a syringe ?

I spent a lot of time as a kid tracking Hg blobs in my carpet. It was fun.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen

Go To Top