Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acetone storage?
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 23-5-2020 at 10:17
Acetone storage?

I can purchase acetone otc in small containers, but they have metal foil seal that has to be broken to open it, and it has only lightweight plastic cap. Apart, storing it in those small cans is annoying, having to handle multiple of them even for small reactions.

So, is there a viable solution to store it in bigger container? What container would be best? I was wondering of getting a simple HDPE canister that is cheap and easy to handle and store it in it.

[Edited on 23-5-2020 by Refinery]
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 23-5-2020 at 10:56

I have bought acetone in plastic bottles. The caps were quite good and tight but they were very wide. Even though caps were good I still noticed quite significant loss of my acetone even though it wasn't warm around.
If you really don't want to lose your acetone while storing it for some time, just invest in good glass bottles with blue caps.
I think that if you pour it in a carnister, it will leak, I have similarr issue with DCM, bought 5l carnister and it is leaking... don't have any other container for this much.

[Edited on 23-5-2020 by mackolol]
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2020 at 11:09

Hmm, it appears to me that those steel made gas cans could be an option. They range from 5 liters up to 20 liters and so on.
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2020 at 19:53

Not sure what bottle sizes you think are small - do you need 1 or 4 liters for "small reactions"? My 1L bottles that my technical acetone came from each have a plastic inverted-cap-like liner that pushes into the neck of the bottle, that the cap then screws over. No leaks for years. Don't know if there is a name for that system.
HDPE bottles are inexpensive for as good a seal as they provide. I got a 5 gal HDPE rectangular carboy and it is not leaking one bit, I would say that HDPE is a great choice for certain solvents. The softness of the lid lets you torque it down quite far, especially the ones shaped like Nalgenes.
Refinery
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2020 at 09:01

HDPE canisters are easy and cheap. I like the 1 gal / 5 liter versions the most. They are handy in size and shape and can hold a bulk reagent. I've stored many alcohol and waste solvent liquids in them, aside from chlorides for heating/coolant liquids etc and had no issues, but never pure, dry acetone.
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-5-2020 at 17:44

The cheapest 1-gal HDPE jugs might be milk jugs...and you can drink (ugh) the milk first (I use it on breakfast cereal). I have heard that some strange characters actually dilute coffee with it!:D
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 24-5-2020 at 23:48

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
The cheapest 1-gal HDPE jugs might be milk jugs...and you can drink (ugh) the milk first (I use it on breakfast cereal). I have heard that some strange characters actually dilute coffee with it!:D

but the cap has no way a good seal

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go To Top