Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Most toxic compound OTC?
njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 18-9-2020 at 08:48

Quote: Originally posted by dextro88  
Even more OTC, colect a thousands of apple seeds, crush them and extract your cyanide xd im
amased noone mention this :D I also see a lot of drugs mentioned, probably a DOX series overdose or NBOMES are very bad way to die, imagine overdosing on one of these, or the fentalogues in the 10000+ potency of morphine, a few ug can be enough.

[Edited on 15-9-2020 by dextro88]

There are far better ways to get cyanide and none of the other things you mentioned are OTC
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 05:30

Hey hear me out. What about methanol? OK, one cannot die from milligrams of methanol, but One could replace the ethanol with methanol in some alcoholic brew, given, that the person is willing to drink. 10ml can make one blind and as little as 15ml could kill. Easy in so many ways.

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2021 at 01:23

Methanol is indeed an insidious poison. It cannot be distinguished from ethanol by any practical means, but it has orders of magnitude higher lethality. If ethanol beverage is contaminated with sufficient amount, the result will be fatal because a lot of ethanol is required to displace it in metabolism.

"Fun" fact: there has been zero recorded methanol poisonings from home-distilled liquors ever. It has always been adulterated with added methanol, either unknowingly or accidentally. Tired of noting people on this myth when they always jump on their back feet when talking about home distilling. Not an actual form of chemophobia, but some false myths die hard.
njl
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2021 at 06:50

I don't really follow Fyndium. Sounds like their point stands, if you don't know what you're doing you could very easily poison yourself.
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2021 at 07:09

methanol 10mL will do the trick. that's why often mix with bitter chemicals.
Ethylene glycol is moderately toxic, with an oral LD50 = 786 mg/kg for humans. The major danger is due to its sweet taste hence adding of bitter flavoring (denatonium benzoate) to antifreeze.

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2021 at 09:45

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
It cannot be distinguished from ethanol by any practical means

I find the fact that methanol tastes sweet to be practical in some circumstances but I would probably measure the boiling point to be sure.
There are certainly practical means to distinguish them.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2021 at 12:10

Quote: Originally posted by njl  
I don't really follow Fyndium. Sounds like their point stands, if you don't know what you're doing you could very easily poison yourself.

Methanol is not formed in such quantities in fermentation it would cause issues. When fractionating ethanol, the very first distillates contain a lot of impurities, which methanol forms minority, and if this stuff is draught as is, it could cause issues, but if it is mixed even with a little of further distillates, the concentration of harmful compounds fall below risk. Major issue is that foreshots and heads taste so nasty I don't think anyone would want to actually drink them, people instead do a lot of work to get rid of them. There are a couple of threads of very good analysis on this matter on homedistiller forum. I collected them all and used the foreshots as rinsing solvents, and tails I used as a substitute for low quality ethanol.

If you put two bottles of alcohol, other one contains 40% of ethanol and other is same strength, but 50% of the ethanol is replaced with methanol, there is no really any practical way to tell which one contains what, unless you actually get special tools like distillation setups, etc. That's why I consider methanol to be relatively much more dangerous than many actual poisons, because one could get poisoned without any warning as it is so close of potable alcohol, but still a totally different chemical.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2021 at 14:11

If you put two bottles of alcohol, other one contains 40% of ethanol and other is same strength, but 50% of the ethanol is replaced with methanol...

... then someone is actively trying to kill you or , at best, really doesn't care if they kill you or not.
That's possible, but in that case, you probably won't last long anyway.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 00:57

But you ain't gonna drink bleach or paint thinner, or if you were, you'd just spit it out the second you taste it.

There are cases of accidental or careless poisonings when people have draught un- or mislabeled bottles. There's a case where a guy had put windshield washing fluid in an old alcohol bottle and peeled off all labels, and someone happened to break into his car, took the bottle and drank it. Thief end up dead, guy end up in court. Found not guilty, though, saved by peeling off labels.

Perhaps the most common is by using different car products as substitute alcohol. Some ethanol based stuff just tastes very gross, but is cheap and gets you wasted af if your stomach can handle it. Reason why EU pulled methanol from consumer products.
IrishJeremy
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-4-2021 at 12:46

Acetaminophen. While it's not fatal in mg amounts, ten grams given on a few occasions, since it's toxicity depends on the individual. It's absolutely innocuous to buy hundreds of tablets, nobody will take notice. If you extract it from the pills and purify it, it's tasteless. It could easily be cooked in a meal without notice. When the toxicology is done it will look like the thousands of other accidental or intentional deaths due to it every year. Last time I looked at the stats, it killed more people every year than prescription narcotics. It's also a terrible, painful death due to liver failure. Truly an awful thing to be poisoned with.
digga
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-4-2021 at 15:32

The toxic effects of acetaminophen are amplified by ethanol. If you imbibe, don't keep it around.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2021 at 00:09

Considering that getting wasted and curing the hangover with some painkillers is pretty much the routine for majority of the human race and yet most of them survive year after year without noticeable health effects, I wouldn't consider minor use a risk. I have always avoided painkillers though when I have been under alcohol influence.
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2021 at 10:44

grapefruit with pharmaceuticals. can be lethal in some cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit%E2%80%93drug_interactions

BauArf56
Hazard to Self

Mood: energetic

[*] posted on 18-4-2021 at 04:50

10% hydrofluoric acid is sometimes sold as rust remover, so if one would spill some on the skin could die quite easily. I also noticed that those gold test bottles contain potassium dichromate (and chromium trioxide)!
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2021 at 05:17

Quote: Originally posted by IrishJeremy  
Acetaminophen. While it's not fatal in mg amounts, ten grams given on a few occasions, since it's toxicity depends on the individual. It's absolutely innocuous to buy hundreds of tablets, nobody will take notice. If you extract it from the pills and purify it, it's tasteless. It could easily be cooked in a meal without notice. When the toxicology is done it will look like the thousands of other accidental or intentional deaths due to it every year. Last time I looked at the stats, it killed more people every year than prescription narcotics. It's also a terrible, painful death due to liver failure. Truly an awful thing to be poisoned with.

I've heard of really stupid people taking 100 codeine and acetaminophen
and while they were hospitalized these idiots still lived. A one-off
large dose probably won't be fatal
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 20-4-2021 at 05:43

There are many varieties of common mushrooms rich in amatoxins, some as seemingly innocent as the little brown ones on your lawn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholiotina_rugosa

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 29-4-2021 at 23:38

I am pleased the old chestnut answer of 'l e ad..travelling at 3637mps is prett y lethal hehe' has not been trotted out.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 02:23

Well, if we escalate things, any matter can be considered hazardous if it were to come in contact with antimatter. The mere rest mass energy is about 20 megatons per kg of useful energy, rest of the total of 50MT apparently dissipates as neutrinos.
njl
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 04:35

We need a stickied thread on OTC antimatter ASAP

Reflux condenser?? I barely know her!
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 09:59

I vehemently agree.
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 11:20

Kidney bean wiki says
Red kidney beans contain relatively high amounts of phytohemagglutinin, and thus are more toxic than most other bean varieties if not pre-soaked and subsequently heated to the boiling point for at least 10 minutes. The US Food and Drug Administration recommends boiling for 30 minutes to ensure they reach a sufficient temperature long enough to completely destroy the toxin.[2] Cooking at the lower temperature of 80 °C (176 °F), such as in a slow cooker, can increase this danger and raise the toxin concentration up to fivefold.[3] Canned red kidney beans, though, are safe to use immediately, as they are cooked prior to being shipped. As few as five raw beans or a single undercooked kidney bean can cause severe nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pains.

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2021 at 14:56

The major effect of bean toxicity is prominent flatulence. Recovery occurs within four or five hours of onset, usually without the need for any medical intervention.
Xanax
Hazard to Self

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 16-5-2021 at 13:12

Quote: Originally posted by BauArf56  
10% hydrofluoric acid is sometimes sold as rust remover, so if one would spill some on the skin could die quite easily. I also noticed that those gold test bottles contain potassium dichromate (and chromium trioxide)!

When I worked at a pharmacy in the 90-ies chromium trioxide was something you should put in your nose when nosebleeding...
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 16-5-2021 at 13:20

Quote: Originally posted by BauArf56  

1%, not 10%

The major effect of bean toxicity is prominent flatulence. Recovery occurs within four or five hours of onset, usually without the need for any medical intervention.

Maybe if you only buy canned beans. Raw beans are in fact very toxic as the previous poster said, due to phytohaemagglutinins. Beans must be boiled (not merely heated) for at least ten minutes in order to be safe to consume, although, for taste reasons, most people would cook them longer.

[Edited on 16-5-2021 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2021 at 14:13

Idk if found easily in nature counts for over the counter, but digitoxin found in fox glove (digitalis) is extremely deadly. I think the ld/50 is like 100ug/kg. If memory serves me right I think it has the added bonus of not being easily detected or breaking down quickly. I could be remembering incorrectly though

Edit: looks like I was wrong. The amount I listed above is the lower end toxic dose. Lethal dose is 20-50 times the maintenance dose which is a few milligrams

[Edited on 16-5-2021 by Opylation]
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top