Chemorg42
Harmless

Mood: Concentrated

[*] posted on 28-5-2020 at 12:04
Grade 10 Highschool Science

:mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-biRwAVTV8
IT HURTS!, It hurts so much!

Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood a single word. (attributed to Niels Bohr)
I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. (Richard Feynman)
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 28-5-2020 at 12:53

Could you perhaps explain exactly what the video claims, and why it "hurts"? Last time I checked this isn't the f'ing youtube commentary section.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Sigmatropic
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2020 at 13:12

Oversimplification at its finest. It's the equivalence of quantification to the point of failed utility. Yes, it is chemistry, yes it is, at least somewhere, correct. but it does not serve any purpose whatsoever.
mackolol
National Hazard

Mood: Psychedelic

[*] posted on 28-5-2020 at 13:15

Maybe if someone is not good at chemistry in highschool and it isn't his main subject it is easier to remember for him this way... I don't see any purpose in this topic.

[Edited on 28-5-2020 by mackolol]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Metastable, and that's good enough.

[*] posted on 28-5-2020 at 20:25

It wasn't dreadful. But it was really little more than the animation of a dictionary definition. I doubt anyone would be able to sensibly extrapolate from the generalisaton given to any specific examples. The presenter certainly couldn't: for the double displacement reaction both products were soluble and so it is a stretch to say that the reaction had actually occurred.

For the sake of a 14 year old who needs to somehow regurgitate some isolated information to "pass" (for some reason... Why do we do this in our education system?) then maybe it is alright.
To illustrate a bit of terminology that somehow a student had become fuzzy on and thereby equip them to progress, again ok at least in the hands of a competent teacher.
As a scientific explanation... It's a bit like calling the three little pigs literature: formative, maybe. Illustrative, perhaps. Meaningful, Nup!

Go To Top