Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using CHCl3 as a solvent for the capture of AlCl3
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-5-2020 at 21:18
Using CHCl3 as a solvent for the capture of AlCl3

Hello everybody,

I am curious as to what you guys think about using CHCl3 as a solvent for capturing AlCl3 sublimate? I found the easiest way to go about making AlCl3 for me was to first make CuCl2, dehydrate it, and then dry distilled with aluminum powder. I’ve seen a few videos here and there that do a similar procedure with other transition metals and since ZnCl2 is a bitch to dehydrate without high heat I thought CuCl2, with its relatively low temp dehydration would be a good alternative

This leads me to my actual question. Dry distilling alcl3 seems to produce sublimate that, in an open receiver, goes in, out, and around the container. Even within an attached receiver has the chance of escaping out the vacuum adapter, or wherever the outflowing gases continue past the receiver. Since alcl3 is a Lewis Acid and CHCl3 is a very very weak acid, they won’t react right? I see AlCl3 has solubility in chlorinated solvents and was thinking feeding a glass tube into submerged CHCl3 then vacuum stripping the solvent for anhydrous AlCl3.

Please enlighten me

[Edited on 31-5-2020 by Opylation]
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 01:33

http://chemister.ru/Database/properties-en.php?dbid=1&id...

according to this AlCl3 has a solubility of 0.049g/100ml at 25°C

if you got absolute ethanol it might work better

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 03:08

I though aluminum trichloride reacts with alcohols to form aluminum alkoxides, no?

Checking the solubility it looks like 1,2-dichloroethane has a decent solubility however I am concerned that it’s because it’s reacting. I read that alcl3 only reacts with alkyl monohalides but does that refer to the whole structure of just what’s bound do a single carbon? Because 1,2-dichloroethane obviously has a single chlorine on each carbon.

[Edited on 31-5-2020 by Opylation]
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 22:40

Not sure about CHCl3 but we did a fair few experiments with anhydrous AlCl3 in dichloromethane (CH2Cl2) and it did seem to be fairly soluble.

Your challenge with the procedure will be:
1. The reaction with CuCl2 rather than ZnCl2 will be much more exothermic.
2. The temperature and rapidly of the AlCl3 vapour produced will likely overwhelm the solvent.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/

Go To Top