Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trichloroisocyanuric acid to sodium dichloroisocyanurate
tahallium
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 12:20
Trichloroisocyanuric acid to sodium dichloroisocyanurate

I have 5kg trichloroisocyanuric and I want to make the beautiful
Copper dichloroisocyanurate using copper chloride.
I need sodium dichloroisocyanurate should I buy it? Can I make it using TCCA?
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 5-6-2020 at 13:49

You could buy a pool shock 1lb satchel of the latter for under 6$ at a few stores here in my small northern California town. The former is made by chlorination of the latter industrially, I don't see why you couldn't burn up some chlorine to drop it down a peg. Both stay in solution after chlorination of the pool water as cyanuric acid. It keep stabilizing your added chlorine from bottled sodium hypochlorite, or the solid calcium hypochlorite etc. so it doesn't bake off as easy in the heat. You can loose a ton of chlorine on a good 105℉ day.

If you want a specific answer about a some procedure to go between, I'm sure there are better people to ask. Most the reading I had was on the chlorination process to get to the Trichloro-s-triazinetrione.

But I do buy the stuff in bulk each year , Trichloro-s-triazinetrione pucks for the floater, dichloroisocyanurate powder shock pack and many gallons of sodium hypochlorite. Calcium hypochlorite shocks are widely available here. We have a decent pool and it's expensive.

Here ya go,
Process for the production of alkali metal salts of dichloroisocyanuric acid

A process for producing a sodium compound comprises admixing trichloroisocyanuric acid, cyanuric acid, and sodium bicarbonate to form a homogeneous mixture. The homogeneous mixture is reacted with water and a sodium dichloroisocyanurate compound recovered. The novel process minimizes the cost of raw materials and maximizes the available chlorine present in the reaction mixture.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4599411A/en

You might find the bare acid more expensive at the hardware store .. last I looked in was 15$ for a couple pounds as stabilizer. Whereas the single shock pack of 90% would be less than 6$ but your call. Not sure if you have the same access to pool supplies I do. So maybe check with a hot tub/spa shop. They often lean towards bromination for easy on the eyes comfortable cleaning. I found bromo dichloro cyanuric acid salt mixed with 14% sodium bromide as a spa treatment. Good for the mustard and black algae in a pool too. I've never found a shop that didn't have the standard chlorination products though.
A Google search revealed a thread from 2016

SM>> Fundamentals » Beginnings » Cleaning Sodium Copper
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=66089

Which listed this patent : https://patents.google.com/patent/US3055889
Dichlorocyanurate complex salts
"...Example 3 One tenth of a mole of trichlorocyanuric acid was dissolved in 100 milliliters of acetone. To this was added 0.4 mole of sodium acetate in 80 milliliters of water and .04 mole of cupric sulfate in 100 milliliters of water. The precipitate formed immediately. It was filtered ofi, washed with 50 milliliters of water and dried. The available chlorine was 61.2%..."

There were a few different salts discussed, not a bad read.

[Edited on 6-6-2020 by violet sin]

Go To Top