Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hard to find solubilities
crazzzylazzzychemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2020 at 11:49
Hard to find solubilities

Is it really hard to find solubilities at given temperature of organic compounds or is it just me?

I've had an idea to make a nice, useful graph showing approx. solub. of the simplest organic structure modifications but I can't find the data.

My idea was to create educational graph showing differences in solubility:
- when adding methylene group to aliphatic chain of a compound
- the compound has different diameter counterions
- "centre" of the compound is being substituted
- when a temperature of solvent is different
- when the solvent is different (mainly alcohol aliphatic chain is different lenght, adding CH2 groups)

I suppose ammonia gas or methylamine and it's derivatives would be the best for my idea.

Ammonia solubilities are easy to find, but in this case it wouldn't be possible to include counterion effect.
On the other hand methylamine would be a great starting point - each of the above compound modifications applies.

All in all tried to find even approximate solubilities of MeNH2 * HF, HCl, HBr, HI (counterion diameter) in different solvents but I found nothing apart from the fact these salts are hygroscopic so probably they mix with water in any given proportion.
How much does these salts dissolve in normal conditions at normal conditions in: methanol, ethanol, propane-1-ol, butanol at 20/25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100°C (or at least some of these temperatures)?

Where to look for this data?
volta
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2020 at 12:44

My starting point for finding solubility data is:
1. wikipedia
2. crc handbook of chemistry and physics (here
3. iupac solubility data (here), some articles may not be free, those starting with dx.doi.org url can be opened here by copying their url)

[Edited on 12-6-2020 by volta]

Go To Top