Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ZnCl2 + Al -> AlCl3
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-6-2020 at 00:36
ZnCl2 + Al -> AlCl3

So I’m posting this right after I attempted a synth of AlCl3 that I was a little less than prepared for. So I’m posting to see if anyone else has performed this reaction and what was their setup. I assumed, following chemplayers method that as long as I had adequate cooling and a longer “column” than him I wouldn’t have any spillage. Boy was I WRONG! It looks like once this reaction starts, it practically belts out AlCl3. I had a flask connected to a Claisen adapter, straight column capped, branched column connected to a 200mm length ‘U’ adapter. I let this roll with a heating mantle instead of a gas burner and once the reaction started, it started bellowing AlCl3 everywhere. Like a fucking smoke bomb. I immediately removed the flask from heat as I realized I was in way over my head with this. This reaction for sure should not be performed inside unless you have flow hood for sure. I’ve been able to get away with a fan and a window open for a while but this one sure kicked my ass. I just thought I’d mention my mishap for someone else thinking about doing this reaction. Man, chemplayer made it seem so easy too.

On a side note, my product happen to have a dark brown contaminant that I’m quite sure what it was. I’m thinking FeCl3, my aluminum was powdered and bought off of eBay. Btw, the jackass who sold me it packed it in a folded over bag. As soon as I opened it up, bam, everywhere... pretty pissed about it actually. Anyways, I’ll stop yapping

[Edited on 22-6-2020 by Opylation]
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 22-6-2020 at 01:33

When I was thinking how to scrub Cl2 gas that forms during another process, I thought could it be used to produce AlCl3 by passing it over finely ground al foil?
volta
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-6-2020 at 01:39

The same thing happens even without Zinc, but with HCl acid instead of Zinc.
Because the guilty reactant is Al. I once tried to make Al bomb by putting Alu foil in 19% HCl acid bottle, and throwing it 20 m away from me. I was amazed by the sound of it. The plastic bottle ripped apart, and make such strong sound that whole village heard it and reacted with fear and worry. Even my dog and sheep reacted, although they were not close to it. Sheep started running into forest, and dog into his house. I thought it was atomic bomb exploding. I am pretty sure the villagers and citizens from nearby cities and villages 50 km away must have heard it. Definitely it was louder than typical fireworks like those used for New Year, and louder than any shotgun and gun I heard so far. I stayed in shock for one hour, although previously I thought there must be nothing louder than old shotgun used for killing village animals.
We should use general tricks to contain such reaction such as reducing surface area of metals. I see you used powder, which is max surface area. I used aluminium foil instead, which when squeezed, give much less surface area in contact with acid.

Also I tried measuring voltage and current of Al foild in contact with acid, and whoa! It was few amperes, and voltage as it said on reduction potential wikipedia page, definitely enough to power a laptop.

As for that dark color of dissolved Al in acid. I am not sure is it coming from the acid or Al, because I did not try reacting Al with other acid recently, but remember that always dark color is produced. It becomes less dark as Al chloride cools down. Tested on bought alu foil and chocolate alu foil.
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-6-2020 at 02:20

I love the story haha one of those “oh shit” moments. But I am not speaking of an AlCl3 solution but an AlCl3 anhydrous powder. One of my reagents was not anhydrous as there was some condensation within the reaction flask however there was a decent amount of dry white AlCl3. I’m wondering if feeding the reaction into an ice cold solution of some solvent that AlCl3 is insoluble in. That way I could evaporate the solution to get anhydrous AlCl3

I was also thinking maybe a balloon would be a good reception vessel? It can expand and once full can be easily dumped into a more permanent container?

[Edited on 22-6-2020 by Opylation]
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 24-6-2020 at 00:42

The article states that the reaction temp is 650-750C, so I wonder if chlorine is uncreactive with solid state aluminum?

2 Al + 3 Cl2 → 2 AlCl3

If this works as is, chlorine gas generated could be led at anhydrous conditions to al shreddings and when ready, AlCl3 sublimed at 180C to extract pure form.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2020 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by Opylation  
I’m wondering if feeding the reaction into an ice cold solution of some solvent that AlCl3 is insoluble in. That way I could evaporate the solution to get anhydrous AlCl3

I dont think you cant evaporate off the solvent in ordinary conditions as the AlCl3 would pick up moisture from the air very fast.
Maybe it will work evaporate the solvent using vacuum but then how you remove the vacuum without introducing moisture?
Using a drying tube and very slowly let air in, maybe.

Go To Top