Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 18K Gold sould I drop it in aqua regia.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 15:00
18K Gold sould I drop it in aqua regia.

Hello,

Today I was walking through the city, just going for a stroll. Out of nowhere I heard hey sir. There was this gentleman from Dubai in his vehicle who was stranded in the city and needed to get to Toronto. He had 2 gold rings he dropped in my hands asking for money. I am an honest person so I didn't run. He said he was rich but lost his money he had in the city and needed to get back home. In the end he gave me 2 rings and a necklace 78.5g of 18K gold, it's stamped on every piece for $360.

I really could have ran as soon as he dropped the rings in my hands, but that would have been on my conscious.

I was considering dropping the chain in aqua regia and selling the rings and cross from the chain.

Am I stupid or should I drop it all in aqua regia?

Edit:
I am actually thinking of dissolving the cross and selling the chain.

[Edited on 8-7-2020 by Syn the Sizer]
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 16:30

I hate to say it but your "conscious" was unconscious. I hope I'm wrong, but this smells very strongly of a scam. Go ahead and dump it all into aqua regia, and after the gold plating (hopefully not brass plating) dissolves, then the base metal underneath will probably dissolve too. At this point, you can chalk it all up to experience, or you can practice inorganic qualitative analysis and separate the mixture of metals.
I really hope I'm wrong about a scam, and also that this isn't a belated April Fool's Day joke.:D
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 16:53

No this is the real thing. They are clearly worn. There is dirt caught in some of the grooves even a couple small dings that are shiny as the rest. I looked the rings over before I hopped into the vehicle. I realize a stamp saying 18K doesn't guarantee 18K but with the parts that are worn smooth from the finger are still shiny and the stamp is shiny inside the grooves too.

I have been trying to get a good shot of the 18K stamp but my camera sucks. I have a photo of it all together though.

[Edited on 9-7-2020 by Syn the Sizer]
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 17:32

Before you do anything go to a pawn shop or cash for gold place that uses xrf testing.the scratch test is inefficient and incomplete and is not good enough.this will give you a very precise readout of what you have in % of each metal. you don't want to see tungsten or titanium anywhere.copper silver lead are to be expected if real.ive seen 23.7 carat gold with an iron impurity but I don't think it was magnetic.if it's magnetic you have gold plated iron.anyways xrf testing is what you need.dont do anything until then.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 17:41

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
Before you do anything go to a pawn shop or cash for gold place that uses xrf testing.the scratch test is inefficient and incomplete and is not good enough.this will give you a very precise readout of what you have in % of each metal. you don't want to see tungsten or titanium anywhere.copper silver lead are to be expected if real.ive seen 23.7 carat gold with an iron impurity but I don't think it was magnetic.if it's magnetic you have gold plated iron.anyways xrf testing is what you need.dont do anything until then.

Sounds good, I was planning on going to a gold dealer to have it checked out. It definitely isn't magnetic, I just checked with a hard drive magnet.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 17:45

That used to be an effective way to determine if it's fake but now instead of iron they use tungsten or titanium.just a few days ago a news story from china about how billions in fake gold bars were used as collateral for loans went worldwide.it was all just coated tungsten or copper.https://www.afr.com/markets/commodities/the-mystery-of-4b-of-loans-backed-by-fake-gold-20200705-p55938
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 18:18

lol, Crazy, well we'll see what happens, maybe I was taken.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 18:27

Pictures?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 18:33

That used to be an effective way to determine if it's fake but now instead of iron they use tungsten or titanium.just a few days ago a news story from china about how billions in fake gold bars were used as collateral for loans went worldwide.it was all just coated tungsten or copper.https://www.afr.com/markets/commodities/the-mystery-of-4b-of-loans-backed-by-fake-gold-20200705-p55938

I'm pretty sure they're using tungsten these days, because it has nearly the same density as gold. Titanium would be far lighter.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 18:35

Pictures?

Yes I meant to upload them I will do that right now.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 18:49

I tried getting shots of the stamp but it isn't clear in the photos.

all.jpg - 615kB chain.jpg - 396kB cross.jpg - 342kB lion.jpg - 309kB poker.jpg - 330kB

[Edited on 9-7-2020 by Syn the Sizer]
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 20:00

What's it say above the cross? And what is on the ring? Is it poker? The two rings seem to go together
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 20:01

What's it say above the cross? And what is on the ring? Is it poker? The two rings seem to go together

It says "INRI", which stands for Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews. It's common on Catholic crosses.

Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 20:15

https://www.liveauctionworld.com/GOLD-TONE-POKER-RING_i34069...
https://www.letgo.com/en-ca/i/mens-18k-gold-poker-ring_ba6f0...

I found the ring on Google but no details. Letgo is not available in my country so I can't look at this.

[Edited on 9-7-2020 by draculic acid69]
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 20:31

https://www.liveauctionworld.com/GOLD-TONE-POKER-RING_i34069...
https://www.letgo.com/en-ca/i/mens-18k-gold-poker-ring_ba6f0...

I found the ring on Google but no details. Letgo is not available in my country so I can't look at this.

That looks like the one. It's a 16.7 g 18K ring (size 10.5) for $250 (presumably Canadian).

ring.jpeg - 27kB

Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 20:33

Yep it says poker on the ring. letgo says it's 18K gold and going for $250 and the weight more or less matches, the site says 16.7g I weighed 17g and that could be the scale I used out a bit.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 20:47

I'd say it's plated or filled gold. It seems a little too yellow to me. Let us know about any xrf results.

Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 20:56

I'd say it's plated or filled gold. It seems a little too yellow to me. Let us know about any xrf results.

I will, for sure.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 22:36

Bite it? If it's a gold alloy you will leave a sizeable dent. Or take wire snippers and try to cut the ring in half. If it's gold plated tungsten, you won't be able to.

Looking forward to knowing what comes out of this!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 23:47

This sounds too good to be true. Current spot price of gold is well over US$ 50 per gram. I expect it to be gold, plated over some other metal or alloy.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 23:56

I'm surprised if they contain any significant amount of gold.

There are whole industry branches in the world that are specialized in making fake items, including antiques and patinizing (referring to your "worn looking" comment). Coins were sweated in the past times for precious metal powder, a modern scam artist would likely just use tumbler or ball mill - if coins were still based on their intrinsic value.

The story about chinese artisans was interesting I heard from an art enthusiast. He told that when there was an art scam crisis, and there was a sudden surge of rare coins and pieces of art, which appeared very real and fooled even professional numismatics, but when an actual forensic investigation were made, they found out that they were exceptionally well made fakes originating from china. There was also a story about crystal skulls decades aco which were upon speculation that they would be even originated from extra-terrestrial sources, but they were also traced back to chinese craftmans.

Point of the story is that if something worth money can be faked, it probably will be at some point. If you get good at making something, it can turn out really profitable.
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 00:04

Rich guy from Dubai with a cross on his neck? Sounds legit :D

What did you give him for that?

There are many scammers in my area who do similar things, many of them describe them as businessman, they are driving good cars and they wear nice suits - so they look quite legit. They offer gold or other things for a money that would be sufficient to tank the car explaining that they forgot to take a wallet of somebody robbed them just before and they need to attend business meeting somewhere in the country - but unfortunately they have no fuel :D

draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 16:58

Quote: Originally posted by outer_limits  

There are many scammers in my area who do similar things, many of them describe them as businessman, they are driving good cars and they wear nice suits - so they look quite legit. They offer gold or other things for a money that would be sufficient to tank the car explaining that they forgot to take a wallet of somebody robbed them just before and they need to attend business meeting somewhere in the country - but unfortunately they have no fuel :D

Yeah, guy from Dubai with a cross is contradictory
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 17:45

I am really interested if it turns out to be real gold.
Please update as soon as possible about your findings with this stuff!
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 17:58

Quote: Originally posted by outer_limits  

Yeah, guy from Dubai with a cross is contradictory

Nope, not at all. Dubai is 13% Christian. And they don't throw a shit-fit about people wearing crosses there.

Dubai is also the claimed country of origin for many of the perpetrators of the old gold ring scam in Canada.

The RCMP has been issuing bulletins for years about this.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top