Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Building a magnetic stirrer need advice.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 19:24
Building a magnetic stirrer need advice.

I've made a hard drive magnet/computer fan stirrer but currently it's encased in a flimsy plastic casing that when a cooling bath is placed on it bends and bows and rubs on the magnet at & one point stopped it completely. I've decided a flat aluminium
plate is going to help remedy this problem but 4mm thick plate is all I can get and I'm
not sure if this is too thick for only a hard drive magnet + a few mm thick flask
to stir through. Anyone with experience on how thick a plate I can get away with?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 19:47

Could you use a ceramic (wall/floor kitchen/bathroom) tile?

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 20:25

Probably could but for one tile it might cost the same as the aluminium plate. Also I don't really like the feel of the underside of tile (weird factor I know).
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2020 at 13:33

You must be able to construct some kind of frame and then you can put some thin stainless steel plate on it (or a ceramic plate).
Any plate that is thin, non magnetic (and heat resistant if you have heating also).
Like one of those 3 legged ring stand things used to put over a bunsen burner.
Then put a non magnetic plate on top and just spin your magnet under that.
There are magnets that can take quite high temps but the hard drive magnets is not of this kind.
But if you just make a stirrer without heating function any magnets would do, the stronger the better.

You must be able to find an ceramic plate for very cheap or free.
Look for any place where they are building or tearing down a building and there will be ceramic plates from the bathrooms in the dumpster bin.
You might even get a free sample plate if you go to the hardware store and tell them you are rebuilding your bathroom but cant decide what color to have on the ceramic plates. They sometimes give away 1 tile for color test and comparison.

[Edited on 2020-7-15 by Mateo_swe]

Go To Top