Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Explaining your chemistry hobby
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 26-7-2020 at 11:02

Quote: Originally posted by outer_limits  
Quote: Originally posted by karlosĀ³  
I explained to him that it was a three step process(from propiophenone), and how its a controlled precursor, but that the initial precursor to the ephedrine is even an illegal drug :D

Skip the reduction and let the dog have some fun :)

She is way too old for that! :D
Thats not good for her heart in that age(20 years).

And apparently, she enjoys it already enough, people already said that she looks way happier now, always smiling, again energetic and she even started to play with her squeaky toys again just as she did when she was younger(just not all the time of course, but occasionally) :)
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 17:14

I'm technically not a hobbyiest, but I have been playing with chemicals since 14 or before, and still have fun with them. I started wanting to make rockets and pretty colors in fire, got lucky enough to work in a real labs while in high school and college, which excited me more, but kept me too busy to do much playing, but then once I finished grad school and got into a real job, I got back into habby type things, like photography (back when it WAS a form of chemistry), pyrotechnics, even making my own pesticides, wood finishes, and much more. I still like to try physics experiments, design new routes for known compounds, and try to invent new molecules to address needs.

But since I worked in the pharms industry for years, I just tell people that I make drugs, and leave it at that until they ask more. Sadly, while many of my old coworkers have invented a drug that made into the clinic, but I never had. The odds are not good for that, only a small fraction of chemists every discover a great compound, but since I know so many, it is quite rewarding to know that I at least put a lot of hits on goal.

So even when I do personal hobby type chemistry, I find it rewarding just to learn or solve problems. As well some things are just fun, distilling ethanol, making a real fireworks and shooting it, formuating the finish for a woodworking project, making plastic for a student demo, doing a chemoluminescent demo (loved doing that for years), and more. Maybe once I retire I can do more demos of chemistry to students, I used to do a lot, but too busy lately. Sadly, much of what I used to see or do would now be tough to get by many safety people.
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2020 at 11:28

The best answer IMO is the same for all my hobbies(oh boy do I have a lot of hobbies that make no sense to most people) when people ask "why": Because I like doing it. There's no goal.

Like, I've been trying for several months to find and refine ways to make sulfuric and nitric acid, for some far away foggy end goal of making maybe nitroglycerine and other nitrated compounds. I recently came upon a way to cheaply buy both concentrated sulfuric and nitric acid, and suddenly I felt that maybe I didn't actually want to. It'd get me one step closer to my goal, yeah. What if I could just easily and cheaply buy the nitroglycerine right away...? I'm not sure I know what I would even want to do with it. I guess... uhh blow something up...? But I don't have anything that needs to be blown up. Hmm. I think I'd just put it somewhere safe and lose interest at that point to be honest.

For those who still don't get it, I answer with a question: "why do you watch TV? What's your "goal" with that?". In the end watching TV is exactly the same as anything else one does for enjoyment, although at this point it's hard not be a little bit condescending lol.
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 19-8-2020 at 12:21

I think most people have a shallow understanding of chemistry. I usually respond by explaining they use it every day as well, I just seek a deeper understanding so I can take advantage of it and perhaps create something unique. Most of my hobby centers around plating and electroforming, pigments, dyes, oxidizing patinas, etc., because I like to integrate it with art. Below is a raccoon skull I electroformed with copper. I have done similar electroforms capturing stones and other objects with nickel as well.

coppercoon.jpg - 97kB
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2020 at 13:33

Quote: Originally posted by OldNubbins  
I think most people have a shallow understanding of chemistry. I usually respond by explaining they use it every day as well, I just seek a deeper understanding so I can take advantage of it and perhaps create something unique. Most of my hobby centers around plating and electroforming, pigments, dyes, oxidizing patinas, etc., because I like to integrate it with art. Below is a raccoon skull I electroformed with copper. I have done similar electroforms capturing stones and other objects with nickel as well.

What do you mean by electroforming? Do you mean you electroplated a skull and other objects or you made a mold of the object and then plated that? Did you use electroplating or electroless plating?

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2020 at 17:10

I suppose it is technically electroplating but I use the electroforming term because the deposit is very thick and not adhered to the skull - the copper can be removed easily if it were not encasing the skull as thoroughly. I usually use multiple coats of an aerosol graphite spray to create a conductive layer and use a copper sulfate electroplating solution. Same with nickel electroforms I have done - start with a copper strike and pile on the nickel. would like to try making a nickel electroform crucible someday. Eventuall would like to do some electroless nickel as it is easier to plate a variety of materials.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2020 at 02:22

Quote: Originally posted by OldNubbins  
I suppose it is technically electroplating but I use the electroforming term because the deposit is very thick and not adhered to the skull - the copper can be removed easily if it were not encasing the skull as thoroughly. I usually use multiple coats of an aerosol graphite spray to create a conductive layer and use a copper sulfate electroplating solution. Same with nickel electroforms I have done - start with a copper strike and pile on the nickel. would like to try making a nickel electroform crucible someday. Eventuall would like to do some electroless nickel as it is easier to plate a variety of materials.

I tried electroless nickel on glass with various substitutes for palladium activation but all failed. Perhaps depositing a silver mirror first followed by a nickel strike then electroless nickel or just buy the expensive palladium chloride.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-8-2020 at 13:03

Never thought of trying with a silver mirror, I like that idea - I'm going to have to try that one day
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 21-8-2020 at 08:36
Hobby

I don't have to explain my chemistry hobby.
My family and friends have known for a
long time that my favorite things are
energetic materials. :D:D:D

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top