Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some scientific journal paywalls have been removed
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

biggrin.gif posted on 22-7-2020 at 19:50
Some scientific journal paywalls have been removed

Science Direct
The research on Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) and related viruses is available for free on ScienceDirect, and can be downloaded in a machine-readable format for text mining.

Taylor and Francis research publisher
peer-reviewed research published in Taylor & Francis journals is free to access and available for anyone to read.

They both say research on Corona virus but the whole websites are open. Time to download before the journals are put back behind the paywall.

Chemorg42
Hazard to Others

Mood: Concentrated

[*] posted on 22-7-2020 at 20:05

This is excellent news!
However, in my opinion, it does not go anywhere near far enough.
I believe that, in the case of scientific research, piracy is practically a moral duty. Holding the collective knowledge of the human race behind privileged paywalls, available only to the "Ivory tower" of institutionalized academia is immoral and must be fought at all costs.
Still, great that this research is (temporarily) available to the public legally.

Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood a single word. (attributed to Niels Bohr)
I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. (Richard Feynman)
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 23-7-2020 at 00:22

The most interesting and useful info is usually kept as a business secret, sadly.

But for the DOI articles, Sci-Hub has served me well.
Chemorg42
Hazard to Others

Mood: Concentrated

[*] posted on 23-7-2020 at 07:51

Yes, sci-hub is great.

Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood a single word. (attributed to Niels Bohr)
I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. (Richard Feynman)
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2020 at 10:49

I have dreamed that I could have access to some large firm's like Sigma's synthesis and lab procedures. Likely they have carefully written database of synthesis for thousands and thousands of chemicals. Afaik they do pretty much any specialty chemical by order because their site notes that they are to be delivered at certain date which can be few months in the future. And the lab operators certainly don't have to figure the processes out themselves, but instead they are very well and precisely described in a manual and they just follow the protocol in order to make the product as efficiently as possible.

Go To Top